GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

BlueE30

Ready to race!

Joveen

Ready to race!
I just hit 88k and barely have money for independent shop work. I'll just have to wait it out and if anything extend warranty will take the cake

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

JSWhaler

Ready to race!
I Plan I’m taking sometime next week and checking to see if I have to replace. Just broke 62k bought new in September 12’.

JKoehle

Ready to race!
53k and the rattle started 2 weeks ago. Parts came in today, I just have to pray I make it to Sunday. How long did you guys have the startup rattle, if you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Tensioner, chain, guide rails and cam bridge was replaced today. Car is still throwing a P0016 code.

They checked the valves and pistons is a borescope and said they looked fine. The car will be with them over the weekend for further inspection :\

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
Tensioner, chain, guide rails and cam bridge was replaced today. Car is still throwing a P0016 code.

They checked the valves and pistons is a borescope and said they looked fine. The car will be with them over the weekend for further inspection :\

Maybe the camshaft position sensor is bad?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Car is alive and well! I'm not exactly sure what the point of failure was but I actually had the updated tensioner already installed from the factory. $1100 in the hole but still fortunately that's all it cost me.

Aqualung

Passed Driver's Ed
Just had mine done today...I got the tensioner kit from ECS tuning; the CAM bridge was a 40-45 day delivery so my garage got it for me, $293. My local VW dealer couldn't sell the timing chain 'kit' all together.

$903.72 labor...he said the Cam bridge screen was shot, as others have mentioned so it was a good thing I did both at the same time.

Oddly, on a ride after leaving the garage, my Bend Lighting 'failed' (got a display error)...any chance the tech might have screwed up a wire or something while in there?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone, I have a question about the cam bridge screen. This winter I'll be tackling a timing chain/tensioner/rail upgrade (ECS ultimate kit) and am not sure what I'll find regarding the cam bridge.

My question is this: If the cam bridge screen has already broken off and is nowhere to be found then is it worthwhile to replace the bridge?
Seems to me that the new screen will eventually break off as well and potentially cause more damage. Similarly, if the cam bridge screen is still in place would it be a good idea to pull the screen out before it has the chance to break out and cause damage?

The way I see it I am faced with two scenarios each leading to a few options. Which option should I follow in each scenario?

Scenario 1: Old cam bridge screen in tact:
a) Reinstall old cam bridge as-is (w/screen)
b) Reinstall old cam bridge (without screen)
c) Replace cam bridge (w/screen)
d) Replace cam bridge (without screen)

Scenario 2: Old cam bridge screen is not intact:
a) Reinstall old cam bridge as-is (without screen)
b) Replace cam bridge (w/screen)
c) Replace cam bridge (without screen)

tofuD01

Ready to race!
My camshaft bridge was broken when i had my tensioner kit fitted by my tuner so it had to be replaced, they managed to get it same day delivery for the whole job though.

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
Car is alive and well! I'm not exactly sure what the point of failure was but I actually had the updated tensioner already installed from the factory. $1100 in the hole but still fortunately that's all it cost me.

Better than the $3,500 dollars I paid for the same job. Consider yourself lucky!

BlueE30

Ready to race!
$3.5k?????? What?

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

3.5k is pricey, usually timing chain, tensioner, guides, etc should be in the $1,700 - $2,000 range.

I just replaced my tensioner as my chain looked to be in good shape and was in the $800 range tax in from an indy shop.

That being said, if it craps out and eff's your engine, you'll be in the $4k-$5k range at least. (new used engine, labour to pull old and put new in, etc)