GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

car shuddering, rough idle, help!!

gulewamkulu

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, my car has been running rough for about a month now, it idles rough but rpm's seem not to fluctuate, and when I turn on the ignition it seems to reluctantly start. I got an EPC light several weeks ago, but as soon as I turned the car off and on it went away. My car has 36000 miles and is bone stock. I contacted 2 dealers in the area, but they keep saying that unless they can replicate the problem, there is nothing they can do, hence pointless to set up an appointment. What would you guys recommend I do in this case, I am not enjoying my car as much anymore, and dont feel like driving all the way to the dealership if they are seeming this negative before taking the time to properly inspect my car, instead of brushing off customers.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
The dealers are idiots. The ECU will store DTCs that should tell them the cause of the problem. It could be the ignition coiils, very common.

gulewamkulu

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealers are idiots. The ECU will store DTCs that should tell them the cause of the problem. It could be the ignition coiils, very common.

PRND, thats exactly what I was having in mind, super frustrating that these guys just wanna be dicks whenever they can.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
See if you can find someone with VCDS that can get the codes for you. Ideally you want to look for them as soon as the CEL comes on, many codes clear themselves after a specified number of drive cycles where the problem does not occur.

gulewamkulu

Passed Driver's Ed
See if you can find someone with VCDS that can get the codes for you. Ideally you want to look for them as soon as the CEL comes on, many codes clear themselves after a specified number of drive cycles where the problem does not occur.
Sounds like a good way to go, thanks a lot!

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
gulewamkulu:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2013?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. But there are no MILs lighting up on the instrument cluster. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Try to get a new PCV... That was my issue when I had a rough idle.