GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 11-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Trytun
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 13 CSG
Ottonavi GPS Windows Headunit Review

Hey!

I wanted to make a post/review of the unit that I purchased a couple weeks ago. I wanted to get an Eonon headunit, but with the restrictions of Androids and how quick Android updates are coming out plus being unable to update an Android, I decided I didn't want to go that route. I researched a bit and stumbled across this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181717204623

This is a basic VW universal fit radio with navigation and bluetooth and features a preloaded map via micro-SD. It's full touch screen and it's pretty quick for a cheaper aftermarket headunit. I've used the navigation a few times and it's very accurate and quick and up-to-date, especially in downtown LA when compared to Waze/Google Maps. It comes with a navigation antenna which I attached to the top of the unit as I put it back in the dash and it fits perfectly - it's very flush and looks OEM, which I was impressed with.

Here's a few photos of the unit installed in my vehicle:

I previously had an RCD510 in my 2013 base model GTI and I was never really satisfied with the sound quality - my 2013 Honda Civic EX had much better sound quality compared to my GTI. I have noticed a pretty good increase in overall sound quality with the Ottonavi unit, and the Bluetooth works well for both talking and streaming my music. I do not have steering wheel controls so I cannot confirm if that or the backup camera function work, however, they told me that this unit does support backup camera but you need an aftermarket rearview camera and when I put the car in reverse, a black screen with my steering wheel angle comes up so I assume that it will easily support a backup camera - and nicely!

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this headunit for the price. I think it's a pretty good value and I haven't had any issues with it. The guys at Ottonavi were pretty helpful in answering any questions (via email) that I had and I would honestly recommend anyone going from a non-navigation unit to one with navigation to try this one out.
Unitronic Stage 2/Unitronic Stage 1 DSG Tune/APR Downpipe/Neuspeed Catback/Miro Shit Wheels/30% all around/Solo Werks S1 Coilovers/TTRS Strut Mounts/Unitronic Intake/Unitronic Intercooler/Soundaktor Delete/GFB DV+/R8 Coils/Spulen Discharge Pipe/Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete/034 Motorsports Billet Insert/034 Motorsports Street Density Motor and Trans Mounts/ECS Tuning Rear Sway Bar THE BUILD THREAD
Trytun is offline   Reply With Quote