GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #29
Phur
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 AM   #30
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phur View Post
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried taking some pictures, but literally nothing comes through on camera worth posting, sorry. I don't notice them at all anymore, but when I looked at them looking for something I could still see a faint outline of the where the old sticker was. I doubt anyone else would ever see it or recognize it, but it is there if you're looking at it in the right angle. Hopefully that helps.
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #31
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago and got a used set of Depo tails from a member on here and couldn't be happier. Install was breeze and they honestly make the back end look soooo much better.

Probably my favorite mod yet

A few more things in the works still too
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #32
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Finally got around to getting the windows tinted (20% ceramic all the way around) and I absolutely love it! Really liking the way things are coming along so far on it.

Also got the fuel filter switched out (pretty sure it was still original) as I continue to get things up to par maintenance wise.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #33
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Been a while since I've added anything to this thread. Winter kinda sucks here on the car front and the its almost always filthy so lost a little motivation, plus family needs and saving up the little funds I had for a tune, so other stuff got put off, but a few little things got added, so figured I'd update.

Took the side markers out and color matched them - so much cleaner and better.

Got the GTI door sills to match the levers and put on all four door jambs:

I had a broken mirror housing (just the bottom half) when I bought the car, so I upgraded both sides to the OPD sequential lights with the puddle lights (although I haven't wired up the puddle lights yet, didn't want to take the door apart right now):

A little video of them on: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgIhFc-F...cdetailingbend

A lot of fun stuff in the works though, and bigger things, so looking forward to the next few months!
Old 03-23-2018, 02:01 AM   #34
KDOG
Oval Newbie

Drives: CSG GTI
Where did you get the lower housing ? Cost? If u don't mind me asking, I had some 16yr old clip my mirror and broke my light on the inside part and outside, had sht insurance so Ibarely go any $ from it. . Was looking on eBay but not sure if the quality/fit would be there
KDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:09 AM   #35
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDOG View Post
Where did you get the lower housing ? Cost? If u don't mind me asking, I had some 16yr old clip my mirror and broke my light on the inside part and outside, had sht insurance so Ibarely go any $ from it. . Was looking on eBay but not sure if the quality/fit would be there
Drivers side or passenger. If it's drivers, I've got a perfectly good OEM one that I'll never use and could give you a great deal. If passenger, no luck, as mine was broken too.

If you want the sequential blinkers with the puddle lights though, I got them from One Perfect Dose here: http://opdparts.com/index.php/volksw.../mk6/body.html There's clear or smoke; $50 for the pair seemed good to me and install was pretty easy (although I haven't wired up the puddle lights yet). FYI, teenage drivers suck.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #36
kerp
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI CW
Looks good man! Like those mirror signals, would swoop them if I wasn't worried about my headlight sequential turn signals syncing up. By the way, are those Rokblokz stamped with their logo?
kerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #37
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerp View Post
Looks good man! Like those mirror signals, would swoop them if I wasn't worried about my headlight sequential turn signals syncing up. By the way, are those Rokblokz stamped with their logo?
Thanks man! I know it's a slow process as funds are limited, but it's fun and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so things will improve in time. The Rokblokz are their new version where they're stamped, so you don't have an option to not have the logo. Since it's just black though, its not very noticeable at all.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #38
kerp
Rally Car Newbie

My First Build: Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Thanks man! I know it's a slow process as funds are limited, but it's fun and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so things will improve in time. The Rokblokz are their new version where they're stamped, so you don't have an option to not have the logo. Since it's just black though, its not very noticeable at all.

I'm in the same boat, been modding slowly but surely since I got mine 3-4 years ago. Also makes you appreciate each mod and the process itself. Getting second-hand items cuts down costs tremendously.l

Okay cool, I've been sitting on an old style pair of the short model and have yet to install them. Was surprised they changed the ability to leave the logo off. The black blends in well though. The flaps actually look a lot better than I expected once installed. I need mine since I work on a mountain, tons of rocks always getting kicked up. Did you remove the rear wheels for install?

Last edited by kerp; 03-25-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:26 AM   #39
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
I'm in the same boat, been modding slowly but surely since I got mine 3-4 years ago. Also makes you appreciate each mod and the process itself. Getting second-hand items cuts down costs tremendously.l

Okay cool, I've been sitting on an old style pair of the short model and have yet to install them. Was surprised they changed the ability to leave the logo off. The black blends in well though. The flaps actually look a lot better than I expected once installed. I need mine since I work on a mountain, tons of rocks always getting kicked up. Did you remove the rear wheels for install?
Totally agree about appreciating each mod more when itís slower, and also about getting lightly used stuff. I actually just picked up a Cobb AP with their BigSF intake for 600 with less than 5000 mikes on it from a fellow member. Super stoked to get it installed.

I wasnít a huge fan of the flaps originally, but theyíve grown on me, and here in Oregon they use crushed lava rocks on the roads when it snows, so they are very helpful. Over time Iíve begun to like them more and more too. I didnít take the rear wheels off, but probably could have done it much faster if i had.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:44 AM   #40
kerp
Rally Car Newbie

My First Build: Candy White GTI

Quote:
Totally agree about appreciating each mod more when itís slower, and also about getting lightly used stuff. I actually just picked up a Cobb AP with their BigSF intake for 600 with less than 5000 mikes on it from a fellow member. Super stoked to get it installed.

I wasnít a huge fan of the flaps originally, but theyíve grown on me, and here in Oregon they use crushed lava rocks on the roads when it snows, so they are very helpful. Over time Iíve begun to like them more and more too. I didnít take the rear wheels off, but probably could have done it much faster if i had.

Dude I saw that post, such a steal! Even shipped too. You going to go with an e-tuner eventually? I know a lot of guys are jumping ship from APR to Stratified.

The OEM flaps came with my car, but I'm concerned about the rusting issue some members have reported. Apparently abrasives get caught in the lip and erode the paint on the fender. Damn that's brutal...and I thought salt was bad. Well maybe I'll throw mine on soon then, thought you had to remove the wheels for some reason.

Quick question since you're a detailer. Did you hose your engine bay down? I've read conflicting information on covering parts before doing so. Can I use something like diluted Meguiar's degreaser?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #41
Jarred767
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Dude I saw that post, such a steal! Even shipped too. You going to go with an e-tuner eventually? I know a lot of guys are jumping ship from APR to Stratified.

The OEM flaps came with my car, but I'm concerned about the rusting issue some members have reported. Apparently abrasives get caught in the lip and erode the paint on the fender. Damn that's brutal...and I thought salt was bad. Well maybe I'll throw mine on soon then, thought you had to remove the wheels for some reason.

Quick question since you're a detailer. Did you hose your engine bay down? I've read conflicting information on covering parts before doing so. Can I use something like diluted Meguiar's degreaser?
I canít wait for the tune/intake although i told myself that I had to do the timing chain tensioner update first, so gotta get it in a shop for that ASAP. Iíll probably do a custom stratified tune once I get a few more mods. Iíll just stick with OTS Cobb ones for now.

On the engine, i spray them down all the time just a gentle rinse though, no pressure washer. Just make sure itís fully cool and the battery, alternator, and coil packs are covered. I dry it right away wirh compressed air (or shopvac on reverse). I use all Shine Supply stuff, but I used to use meguiars and their degreaser is perfect for it. I think Iíd dilute 7:1 or 4:1 (just avoid getting it on and drying on your fenders or front grill, it has potential to stain). Good luck with it!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #42
kerp
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
I canít wait for the tune/intake although i told myself that I had to do the timing chain tensioner update first, so gotta get it in a shop for that ASAP. Iíll probably do a custom stratified tune once I get a few more mods. Iíll just stick with OTS Cobb ones for now.

On the engine, i spray them down all the time just a gentle rinse though, no pressure washer. Just make sure itís fully cool and the battery, alternator, and coil packs are covered. I dry it right away wirh compressed air (or shopvac on reverse). I use all Shine Supply stuff, but I used to use meguiars and their degreaser is perfect for it. I think Iíd dilute 7:1 or 4:1 (just avoid getting it on and drying on your fenders or front grill, it has potential to stain). Good luck with it!

Smart man, get it done so you can have some peace of mind.

Awesome really appreciate the information! Going to give it a go next week.