GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #57
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Yeah. I don't have dsg, so idk how hard it is to do. Byt if its that easy there must be some trap or something

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Believe itís the refill method and the tool they use to fill it from the bottom to proper level. The top fill takes longer, but yields some results. Itís really not that hard, just messy and can be time consuming, compared to an oil change.

In no particular order, all you do is; Remove battery and tray, remove filter housing (replace oring),remove old filter, remove drain plug, remove the plastic snorkel plug thingy and wait to completely drain, reinstall plastic plug, reinstall drain plug (new washer), use $7 funnel to refill (takes a while) and put in 4.8l, reinstall filter and housing, reinstall battery tray and battery and double check your work, start car and run through the gears and hope for no kaboom.

You can find dsg kits for cheap. Or have Jay do it and save money. Local dealer wanted $600-700 for the 40k service. I saved a ton doing it myself. If I didnít have time to do it, I would of had Jay do it for me.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #58
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 09 GLI
Ebay has DSG oil and filter kits for under $90 shipped. All you need is a hose funnel to do the top fill and drain method. Very very easy. If you have the ability to change your own oil, put the car on jack stands and remove your battery you can do this.
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #59
Green_GTi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 RBM Golf R, 2010 CW CC Lux
If you have a MK6 R, make sure you do the Haldex Service. The dealer usually won't to it, as it isn't on the Volkswagen of America service schedule. The Haldex Fluid and filter change is on the European Volkswagen Schedule at 40k US Miles, or 65K, Km.
A Haldex service kit is available from ECS Tuning, or the filter is available from Neuspeed I haven't looked to see if the Haldex Fluid is available from them as well. The Haldex Fluid is available from Volkswagen and Audi Dealers.
The Haldex Fluid is difficult to put into the Haldex unit. The fill point is very small and not easily accessible. If you don't do it correctly, you could end up with most of the new fluid dripping down your elbow.
Do some research on how to do the change on the Generation 4 Haldex (note, the Haldex is Generation 4, not the car).

APR Stg 1, Neuspeed Pflo & Catback, Euro VWR Springs, All LED lites, DieselGeek Short Shift, OEM LED Tails

Last edited by Green_GTi; 12-16-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Green_GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #60
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Yeah I honestly don't know why they charge so much but it is what it is. After seeing it done, I was like yeah that's easy. If you know your way around a wrench you could it, Jaber isn't very far off from how to do it. We do it from the bottom drain plug. I remember doing my TSX, drain it, funnel in trans tube, dump fluid in, easy lol.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #61
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
I did the 40k service on my car last year and purchased everything separately. I got 5 quarts of the OEM DSG fluid on ebay for $70, OEM DSG filter on ebay for $14, OEM oil/filter from ECS for $55, OEM fuel filter on ebay for $25, Mann cabin filter on ebay for $14 and a Mann air filter on ebay for $11. I went slow because I wanted to make sure I did the DSG part correctly but its not bad at all. 40K service can be done for under $200 and 2 hours of easy labor.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #62
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
I did the 40k service on my car last year and purchased everything separately. I got 5 quarts of the OEM DSG fluid on ebay for $70, OEM DSG filter on ebay for $14, OEM oil/filter from ECS for $55, OEM fuel filter on ebay for $25, Mann cabin filter on ebay for $14 and a Mann air filter on ebay for $11. I went slow because I wanted to make sure I did the DSG part correctly but its not bad at all. 40K service can be done for under $200 and 2 hours of easy labor.
Agreed! When I bought my TSX there was a few different quotes in the glove box for a tranny flush, cabin filter, plugs, and something else. It all added up to like $600. Did it all for less than $100 and about 2 hours. A lot of maintenance things are pretty easy if you do some research.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #63
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
On the subject of DIY cost savings, my local Autozone is clearing out Pentosin DSG fluid for 50% off. Yours might be, too.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote