GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Light Bar?

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Finished my install! pretty happy with the end results, need to aim it properly though. i do wish it was brighter though.

Finished wiring. Relay is a HELLA weather proof relay and matching harness

For now, its just switched with a simple switch until i get my proper one. i want this to look as OEM as possible

End result
yes, there are holes in my bumper from removing the plate, working on filling those is next.

EDIT: so after doing some nighttime driving, im really happy with the bar i installed. while headlights are more directed, this illuminates more around, especially the sides of the road. since i live in an area heavily populated with deer, this is very nice! right now between high beams and the LED bar, i can light up buildings from about a quarter mile away :D

Can you describe how you added in the relay?

Last edited:

goose1

Ready to race!
Update to the 3m vhb tape, maybe I didn't prep it right but one of the lights fell off, right now its hanging in the bumper so I'm going to pull the bumper tonight or tomorrow and see what i can do.

For those of you with lights, how are yours secured under the bumper?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

goose1

Ready to race!

I took it on the track today. It was 92 outside and after driving it hard it didn't seem to make it run hotter. But if I'm getting heatsoak, I don't know. I'm not sure what the symptoms are of it here's some more pictures of it

Drive it like you stole it
Did you drill into the bumper support or weld on a bolt?

zrickety

The Fixer
I am thinking about a lexan fairing with the light bar behind it. Would the light diffuse too much?

MK6 Will

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you drill into the bumper support or weld on a bolt?

Drilled through the bumper with a mortar bit (the only thing I could get to work), used some long bolts, and a bunch of washers to space it out to get it lower than that sensor that's hanging on the bottom of the bumper on the driver side.

Drive it like you stole it

Jared32

Ready to race!
Ordered this today!!!

Did anyone use the wiring kit from eBay? Can't decide if I should get it because I'm not real good at wiring...

Sent from my distracter to yours...

GTI27

Ready to race!
Interested in a light bar up top for this winter. I will have thule rood racks with snowboards and the front wind fairing which makes running a light bar tought.

Does anyone know of a shop that could custom fab a-pillar brackets for us like the trucks use?? Ive seen an evo run a light bar with the a-pillar mounting brackets.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Old thread but does anyone have and good way to mount a light bar to the oem roof rack ?

You may need to fab a bracket. But I think 6mm (going off memory) cap bolts (ones with the square sleeve and round head w/o socket) slide right into the tracks. Use a rubber washer between that and the bracket with a few regular steel washers to lock into place.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Don't block your intercooler guys.

This.

Mounting a light bar in the bumper is one of the most idiotic things you can do. Sure you can breath with half your mouth and nose covered while sitting but it becomes a lot harder when you run. Same goes for the engine....AC condenser will have to work harder to cool the air, the intercooler temps will be through the roof, and the coolant won't do it's job and oil temps will start to rise to damaging levels.

Jared32

Ready to race!
This.

Mounting a light bar in the bumper is one of the most idiotic things you can do. Sure you can breath with half your mouth and nose covered while sitting but it becomes a lot harder when you run. Same goes for the engine....AC condenser will have to work harder to cool the air, the intercooler temps will be through the roof, and the coolant won't do it's job and oil temps will start to rise to damaging levels.
Lol I had one in my bumper for several months and took it out last weekend for later when I put in an intercooler. I'm stage two though and I logged temps and such several times and it made no noticeable difference... I only got heatsoak just a few times too and I normally run my car pretty hard.. also I haven't felt any improvement since I took it out either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Savard.ajs

Just mounted a Rigid Sr-Series 6" Combo PN# 906313 ro my MK6 Golf TDI. Mounted on Smittybilt PN# 2815 - licence plate Light Mount.

Throws a nice beam about 800m, floods up a decent amount surrounding also. The aftermarket Projector Headlights don't have good high beams... So this is a nice supplement.

It's not very obtrusive. I'm just using supplied switch run to cabin for now, will eventually run it through euro switch, to rear fogs maybe. Have some research to do yet to do so. I'll add some more pics next week with light throw, wiring, etc

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk