GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 12-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #29
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
My girlfriend got me a track day at mid-ohio

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
That's awesome

Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #31
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
My girlfriend got me a track day at mid-ohio

You will love it. It's a great track.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #32
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
I try to do 2-3 trackdays a year. This was at VIR Grand Course with Trackdaze last November. I'm not yet solo'd on the Grand Course, so I had an instructor this event. The first video I was following a friend in his 425hp mk5 GTI.

https://youtu.be/4EQpPStRjUk
https://youtu.be/sa_WoomUAOw

I'll be going back in April to do the Full Course.
APR Stage 1 v2.4 93 tune, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 24mm RSB, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Rennline H/T Extensions, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street)
My Build Thread

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 02-10-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #33
SteveInLA
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI, CW w/DSG, Sunroof, Nav
I did my first track event last December. It was Buttonwillow Raceway's Performance Driving Clinic. I had my a$$ handed to me by several Porsches and came away feeling like I had no idea what to do on a track. Instead of giving up, I did the clinic again yesterday and had a very different experience. No change to the car other than replacing the valet setting with one for 100 octane on the APR tune and using 101 octane gas. The class was smaller and the course was CCW instead of CW. I had a blast! I don't know that I have the stones to do a competitive event, but I definitely want more. Buttonwillow is a great track too.
SteveInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #34
madbikes
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5L 5-speed
Being on a hiatus from reaching the limit on stock brakes a few years ago, I saved up for some mods that will do the job. Out of Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Sonoma, I enjoy Laguna Seca the most so far. Sonoma is interesting but too crowded for the group I went with. At least I had an awesome instructor that day and try out the big brake kit for the first time. Laguna Seca is the most fun because of its interesting blend of turns, but more importantly I found out the difference between stock and some bolt on suspension mods with different tires is more significant than initially expected. Haven't went back to Thunderhill yet, but I feel like I need more power to make it a more fun drive as it has lots of straights. Probably won't head home with a soft pedal if I do go there again.
APR-Carbonio intake/United Motorsports Tuned/Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch kit/Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+transmission mount+dogbone insert/Bilstein PSS coilovers/034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar/StopTech ST-40 328mm Big Brake Kit/StopTech stainless steel brake lines
madbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #35
who128
Oval Newbie

Drives: GTI MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbikes View Post
Being on a hiatus from reaching the limit on stock brakes a few years ago, I saved up for some mods that will do the job. Out of Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Sonoma, I enjoy Laguna Seca the most so far. Sonoma is interesting but too crowded for the group I went with. At least I had an awesome instructor that day and try out the big brake kit for the first time. Laguna Seca is the most fun because of its interesting blend of turns, but more importantly I found out the difference between stock and some bolt on suspension mods with different tires is more significant than initially expected. Haven't went back to Thunderhill yet, but I feel like I need more power to make it a more fun drive as it has lots of straights. Probably won't head home with a soft pedal if I do go there again.

You don't need power to be fast. All you need is drivers mod and good handling parts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK04i605t1A
who128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #36
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
I'm just starting to get involved in the autox/track day scene.

Really loving autox right now. My local club does 3-4 track days a season but I don't think i'll run my car on the track this season. I feel like I should do a full season of autox first. I am going to try to volunteer as race control for some of the track days this season though. Hopefully get a ride along with someone and just learn all about the track.

Think next year I'll look to get my car on the track. Hoping to be K04 by then too.

Think the tracks they are looking to do are Thompson Speedway, Poncono Raceway, and Palmer Motorsport Park this year.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #37
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post

Really loving autox right now. My local club does 3-4 track days a season but I don't think i'll run my car on the track this season. I feel like I should do a full season of autox first. I am going to try to volunteer as race control for some of the track days this season though. Hopefully get a ride along with someone and just learn all about the track.

Think next year I'll look to get my car on the track. Hoping to be K04 by then too.

Think the tracks they are looking to do are Thompson Speedway, Poncono Raceway, and Palmer Motorsport Park this year.

Awesome! Autox is a great way to get started. You can really learn how the car handles and push it to the limits on autox whereas on a track you want to dial it back if youre new. I did two seasons of autox before starting to track and think that's a great path.

Being at the track and talking to corner workers is also a great way to get a leg up advantage being new. Learn subtle tips from them. I was fortunate enough to have a driving instructor the first few times I went on the track. Learning things right away that a rookie might overlook such as "Look at the tire marks on the track, if the tire marks are going into a wall you might want to give that corner a bit more respect than others" There's so much to take in it's very easy to overlook stuff like that until someone points it out to you.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Lol good point with the tire marks.... definitely don't follow them if its leading to a wall. But you have to react so fast at a track that can be overlooked.

But yeah, this is my daily driver so thats exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't want to wreck it. I want to get involved with autox and track days with my daily because I want this experience. I want to race. And I plan to get a track car in the future (something rear wheel drive and probably v8) but I want to gain this experience now so I am ready.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #39
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
O wow yeah. Love me some track days. 10 days til Gingerman
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #40
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:

As a big fan of K04 and track days i would be remiss if i did not mention that the K04 is not the best use of 2500 bucks if building a track application.

Ive been absolutely skull drug at buttonwillow raceway by a forum member here who has one hell of a drivers mod and better brakes and tires than i was running at the time.

Once you gain the extra power of the k04 youre going to need even MOAR tire and MOAR brakes to make it useful. This is still a problem i have now running 595RSRR tires and stoptech st-41s. Though admittedly at this point the bigger issue is lateral G's creating oil starvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
Awesome! Autox is a great way to get started. You can really learn how the car handles and push it to the limits on autox whereas on a track you want to dial it back if youre new. I did two seasons of autox before starting to track and think that's a great path.

Being at the track and talking to corner workers is also a great way to get a leg up advantage being new. Learn subtle tips from them. I was fortunate enough to have a driving instructor the first few times I went on the track. Learning things right away that a rookie might overlook such as "Look at the tire marks on the track, if the tire marks are going into a wall you might want to give that corner a bit more respect than others" There's so much to take in it's very easy to overlook stuff like that until someone points it out to you.
Track days are loads of fun and super humbling when youre a rookie like most of us. There will be guys out there slugging a big saloons around corners faster than you thought they could go... and little 1.8 NA motors running circles around you. Youll never see a better example of what a "drivers mod" can do until you go to a track day.

But when all else fails:

Name:  im-just-gonna-send-it.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  50.4 KB

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #41
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Quote:

I definitely would hold off on the k04 until you at least try out a few hpde track days. There's a misconception you need more power to get on track, and I'd argue that power is the last thing a novice track enthusiast needs. Invest the money in seat time, an LSD, and some sticky tires instead, because power without traction coming out of a turn is so frustrating.
APR Stage 1 v2.4 93 tune, DIY RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, iABED RMS, Carbonio Intake, Diesel Geek Sigma 6, SuperPro ALK, H&R 24mm RSB, Stoptech 309 Pads, Centric Rotors, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Rennline H/T Extensions, Yokohama ad08r's on OZ 17" Omnia (Track), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Street)
My Build Thread
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 PM   #42
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
I definitely would hold off on the k04 until you at least try out a few hpde track days. There's a misconception you need more power to get on track, and I'd argue that power is the last thing a novice track enthusiast needs. Invest the money in seat time, an LSD, and some sticky tires instead, because power without traction coming out of a turn is so frustrating.
agree

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote