GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 11-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
kram
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Passenger wheel sticking out more than driverside after lowering.

Hi there,

Recently had Koni struts & DG springs installed. Had to do the fender screw mod due to rubbing. Had still heard a bit of rubbing on hard bumps (while turning) on the passenger side...but today realized how bad it was. The fender apparently has cut a groove into my new DWS & the fender underneath is bent to crap (no one will really see it, but I know its there).

Anyway - it appears the passenger side wheel is sticking out more than the driverside. Driverside never rubs. Is this something an alignment will take care of or do I need to mess with the subframe? I did have it aligned when the suspension was done, but maybe should have waited till it settled...

Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171122_125841.jpg (231.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20171122_125850.jpg (223.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg 20171122_125854.jpg (181.8 KB, 228 views)
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
I remember people having this issue on mk4's all the time. I don't remember what the fix for it was other than just run a spacer on the other side to make it even.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
kram
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
I remember people having this issue on mk4's all the time. I don't remember what the fix for it was other than just run a spacer on the other side to make it even.
Yeah, I couldnt find much info that applied to MK6's... Just older gens w/ this issue.

Shouldve mentioned earlier... Not sure if it makes a difference, but the wheel bearing on passenger side was replaced about a year or so ago...
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #4
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Roll the fenders

And I'd touch up that big chip on the fender....you don't want that to start rusting
Old 11-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
drval85
Autocross Champion

Drives:
Make sure whoever rolls the fenders uses a heat gun. I don't think the shop that did mine used one, and now all that paint on the lip underneath is cracked and chipping.
drval85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by drval85 View Post
Make sure whoever rolls the fenders uses a heat gun. I don't think the shop that did mine used one, and now all that paint on the lip underneath is cracked and chipping.
That shop shouldn't be in business if they have to half-ass a simple fender roll. A good heat gun can be purchased from your local hardware store for around $20.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
drval85
Autocross Champion

Drives:
I agree. And it also happens to be one of the top 3 shops that are always mentioned in the area.
drval85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
Pakman332
Oval Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
I had this issue as well, rolled fenders helped a lot. It can still rub but only if I hit a very big dip at speed or something.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Pakman332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Guessing one of the strut mounts is not oriented in the correct position. You got an alignment after the install correct? If not start with that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
10_white_gti
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 gti
Could be due to the k member not being centered or it’s moved over time. Once you loosen the k member bolts the k member has a lot of play in all directions. Mine loosened up and shifted on me and I was getting knocking noise during breaking and acceleration..had to reposition it and crank the bolts back down. IIRC these are stretch bolts and should be replaced but I just tighten them back up and never had the issue since.
10_white_gti is offline   Reply With Quote