GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
RingBredGTI
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI
Humming sound while driving?

Hello All,
I noticed recently while driving above 30 mp/h or so there is a steady humming noise coming from somewhere. It gets louder the faster I go. I believe its from the front because when im turning right it goes away, when I turn left its sill there, it only goes away if I turn right. Does this sound like a wheel bearing issue, or maybe a issue with one of the tires?

Thank You
RingBredGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Wheel bearing
Old 11-13-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
mistaleungg
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: GTI MK6
I got this in very occasional cases. But I can't tell which wheels it is sadly.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #4
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Jack up the corner & check the wheel for play, or spin the wheel and listen to the center (with a mechanic's stethoscope) for noise
Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #5
JamieConway88
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: BMW
My friend's Toyota RAV4 2006 for sale he bought last year from a Japnese used car trading platform (https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-...-sale-year2006) also have the same problems because of the stuck tire. You should make sure that the lug nuts are tight and that the tires are not rubbing anything.
JamieConway88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
In addition to the wheel bearings, check your tires. My front right was cupped and it sounded like a bad bearing.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Mk6Sam
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '11 GTI 6MT Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
In addition to the wheel bearings, check your tires. My front right was cupped and it sounded like a bad bearing.
THIS. I had a noise like you are describing that would come on around 20mph. I replaced my wheel bearings because I thought my noise was a failing one...

Ended up getting new wheels and tires last year and the noise went away. My 4 year old Pirelli tires, that probably weren't rotated by the PO, were the problem noise.

Put the spare tire on the side you feel is making the noise and see if it goes away after a short drive to see if you can confirm that is the issue.
Mk6Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
^kind of what i'm up against as well; i have tires with less than 20k on them but with all the rolling burnouts I've done i'm worried it slowly imbalances the wheels; sounds a lot like a wheel bearing with some of the humming i get and soft little thud-thud-thud-thud you get with that sometimes.

i gotta jack it up and investigate for wheel play; just doesn't sound like fun lol