GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Anyone know what direction the front sway bar end links should be attached to the strut/shock body? I had coilovers installed a while ago and was working under my car today and noticed that they're installed opposite of each other on the driver and passenger sides.

The driver side has the joint facing the front and the nut facing the rear of the car and the passenger side has the ball joint facing the back of the car and the nut facing the front. Is it supposed to be like this? If not, can anyone chime in on the direction it's supposed to face? Seems odd but wanted to ask.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Anyone know what direction the front sway bar end links should be attached to the strut/shock body? I had coilovers installed a while ago and was working under my car today and noticed that they're installed opposite of each other on the driver and passenger sides.

The driver side has the joint facing the front and the nut facing the rear of the car and the passenger side has the ball joint facing the back of the car and the nut facing the front. Is it supposed to be like this? If not, can anyone chime in on the direction it's supposed to face? Seems odd but wanted to ask.

If they're oem it's the only possible way you can do it. I noticed that when I swapped to aftermarket endlinks. I changed it so it was in the front on both sides, but idk if that was the right thing to do lol...the way the oem endlinks were set up just seemed so wrong though.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
If they're oem it's the only possible way you can do it. I noticed that when I swapped to aftermarket endlinks. I changed it so it was in the front on both sides, but idk if that was the right thing to do lol...the way the oem endlinks were set up just seemed so wrong though.

Thanks! I was tempted to try turning the driving side front sway bar end link around since it took a bit of wrestling for me to get the sway bar onto the end link bolt. The passenger side slid right on perfectly. Note that this is the stock sway bar and end links.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Thanks! I was tempted to try turning the driving side front sway bar end link around since it took a bit of wrestling for me to get the sway bar onto the end link bolt. The passenger side slid right on perfectly. Note that this is the stock sway bar and end links.

You have them installed properly

If you're lowered (since you're on coilovers)....it might take a little more force, since the sway bar & the mounting tab will be in a slightly different location from stock now (the sway bar probably rotated too, in the bushings, so it won't just "easily" connect to the strut)

SirClimax

Ready to race!
DSG GTI can do at least 103mph on cruise control. Not sure how much higher I am willing to go...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

joshmoni

Front parking sensor harness connection location.

Basically,
I have front parking sensors as standard, but recently i fitted a new front bumper which came without the parking sensor holes. I didn't have the correct tools to make the holes so i left it a little while. In the meantime i simply tied the parking sensors somewhere under the bonnet.

There i am one day driving along, the parking sensors come loose and somehow end up under my wheel. They're now gone...

Upon buying some new parking sensors and making the holes in the bumper to fit them, i cannot find where the harness is meant to connect to? (Like where do they connect to the car to receive power ect.)

Anything that results in the location of said connector will be rewarded with a firm thank you.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Basically,
I have front parking sensors as standard, but recently i fitted a new front bumper which came without the parking sensor holes. I didn't have the correct tools to make the holes so i left it a little while. In the meantime i simply tied the parking sensors somewhere under the bonnet.

There i am one day driving along, the parking sensors come loose and somehow end up under my wheel. They're now gone...

Upon buying some new parking sensors and making the holes in the bumper to fit them, i cannot find where the harness is meant to connect to? (Like where do they connect to the car to receive power ect.)

Anything that results in the location of said connector will be rewarded with a firm thank you.

after some digging around this thread might be helpful http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51758

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Will a Porsche oil cap fit a mk6? I see people with r8 oil caps and read somewhere the Porsche cap will fit a mk5 but what about a mk6?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion

What size silicone hose will fit onto the washer fluid reservoir, what ID for the hose? My filler neck is falling apart so I'm looking to do something like that. I can measure it in the morning, but if anyone already knows that'd be cool lol