GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

Gino

Ready to race!
***Accidentally posted in the general clutch discussion thread versus this one, but feel as though this should still be here.

Coming back to this thread to report that I am slipping with my built RSR clutch in the higher RPMs of 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I don't feel like it is no where near as bad as my stock clutch on stage 2 uni slipping, but its enough to notice in data logs. Its been about 30K miles since install, but I did at the time opt to not replace the DMFW. That would mean this DMFW has 96K miles on it. Honestly, I didn't think the car would make it to where it is today or that I would be pro-tuning for more power, but I am now. Would it be safe to assume that perhaps that DMFW is the weak link and that it may need replacing? Plenty of people have handled Stage 3 power with an RSR so I think if parts weren't old/failing that I should be fine with K04 + Meth. Any input or suggestions?

I noticed HS Tuning is offering another clutch kit with a hybrid clutch disk. Anybody by chance given that kit a try?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I have seen written that the diy kit does not have every part the hs tuning uses, which is what makes it the secret sauce. Idk how true this is but something that caught my eye.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

88Mike

Read most of this thread. All I can say is "thanks guys" for the wealth of knowledge here. I ordered everything today. The best price I could get was $783.80 and that's for everything including a new DMFW.

clutch plate - 1878 005 146 $108.99 free shipping - eeuroparts.com
pressure plate - 07K 141 015 BX $365.23 free shipping - AudiUSAParts.com
LuK DMFW - DMF131 $279.79 + $22.99 shipping - RockAuto.com
LuK t/o bearing - LSC320 $29.79 - RockAuto.com (I hope they send the newer version, we'll see....)

Hope this helps someone out.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Bumping this thread with some info. I just installed my "DIY RSR Clutch" and it seems great so far. Looking forward to giving it a workout after break in. A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to the wealth of knowledge in this thread.

I made a huge post in my build thread with pictures of the install, tips, resources, where I sourced my parts + prices, specialty tools, information on the iAbed billet Rear Main Seal install, etc.

Check it out all the RSR Clutch info here if you're interested or click the link to my build log in my signature.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Read most of this thread. All I can say is "thanks guys" for the wealth of knowledge here. I ordered everything today. The best price I could get was $783.80 and that's for everything including a new DMFW.

clutch plate - 1878 005 146 $108.99 free shipping - eeuroparts.com
pressure plate - 07K 141 015 BX $365.23 free shipping - AudiUSAParts.com
LuK DMFW - DMF131 $279.79 + $22.99 shipping - RockAuto.com
LuK t/o bearing - LSC320 $29.79 - RockAuto.com (I hope they send the newer version, we'll see....)

Hope this helps someone out.

Which did they end up sending you?

Bumping this thread with some info. I just installed my "DIY RSR Clutch" and it seems great so far. Looking forward to giving it a workout after break in. A huge thanks to everyone who contributed to the wealth of knowledge in this thread.

I made a huge post in my build thread with pictures of the install, tips, resources, where I sourced my parts + prices, specialty tools, information on the iAbed billet Rear Main Seal install, etc.

Check it out all the RSR Clutch info here if you're interested or click the link to my build log in my signature.

Thanks! This might be my next clutch choice so it helps.

Lumbee1

After 4 years and 3 months, I finally tuned my GTI to Uni Stage 1+ and added a Borla exhaust. I'm loving the combination but in cold weather the clutch is not able to hold the power. I knew before I got the car tuned that the stock clutch might not hold the power and slipping would eventually occur. I just didn't expect it to start 2 weeks after the upgrade.

I research everything I install on my vehicles and what's most important to me is retaining the stock GTI composure to a certain degree. After all this is my daily driver. I've looked at quite a few clutch options and while there are a lot of pro's and con's to each, the DIY RSR looks like the best option to keep the dual mass flywheel and upgrade the power handling. I'm also considering the HS Tuning kit but will compare the full breakdown in price before I commit. I'll admit I'm cheap and would rather do all the work myself.

Are there any concerns with the RSR kit that I should be aware of? I am considering Uni Stage 2 and I don't want to be replacing clutches every 30K miles.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
After 4 years and 3 months, I finally tuned my GTI to Uni Stage 1+ and added a Borla exhaust. I'm loving the combination but in cold weather the clutch is not able to hold the power. I knew before I got the car tuned that the stock clutch might not hold the power and slipping would eventually occur. I just didn't expect it to start 2 weeks after the upgrade.

I research everything I install on my vehicles and what's most important to me is retaining the stock GTI composure to a certain degree. After all this is my daily driver. I've looked at quite a few clutch options and while there are a lot of pro's and con's to each, the DIY RSR looks like the best option to keep the dual mass flywheel and upgrade the power handling. I'm also considering the HS Tuning kit but will compare the full breakdown in price before I commit. I'll admit I'm cheap and would rather do all the work myself.

Are there any concerns with the RSR kit that I should be aware of? I am considering Uni Stage 2 and I don't want to be replacing clutches every 30K miles.

The biggest consideration is what condition your Flywheel is in. If you're over 40-50k miles or have been slipping for awhile then I would definitely recommend replacing your flywheel.

Lumbee1

The biggest consideration is what condition your Flywheel is in. If you're over 40-50k miles or have been slipping for awhile then I would definitely recommend replacing your flywheel.

Thanks Tony. I installed the Stage 1+ tune on January 2nd. Previously, I experienced no slipping and the flywheel should be in excellent condition. Every time the clutch slipped after tuning, I've either hit the clutch or released the throttle. I've never driven through the slipping.

Last edited:

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Bringing this back from the dead

Anybody that has done this recently know or care to tell me where I could get the best price vs. Quality pars needed to do this swap on a Golf R

I guess I need the exact part #’s and website where I can get them from, the euro this disk, Ttrs pressure plate as well as the ONE piece metal throw out bearing

Also will I need to enlarge any of the holes on the pressure plate in order for to mate with the DMFW, same thing HS tuning are doing to their KIT?

Thanks in advance

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

Anybody that has done this recently know or care to tell me where I could get the best price vs. Quality pars needed to do this swap on a Golf R

I guess I need the exact part #’s and website where I can get them from, the euro this disk, Ttrs pressure plate as well as the ONE piece metal throw out bearing

Also will I need to enlarge any of the holes on the pressure plate in order for to mate with the DMFW, same thing HS tuning are doing to their KIT?

Thanks in advance

Follow the link in my signature. I have part numbers and my sources listed in that post in my build log. I purchased all parts within the last 4 or so months.

ferrariF601

Ready to race!
Follow the link in my signature. I have part numbers and my sources listed in that post in my build log. I purchased all parts within the last 4 or so months.

Thanks for the link to the very detailed DIY; did you have to do anything different to the ttrs pressure plate, like enlarge/drill the holes that mate to the pins on the stock DMFW? Cause I’ve read somewhere that the mating holes on the stock ttrs pressure plate are slightly smaller and need to be drilled bigger; and that’s what HS tuning are doing to their RSR kit

Thx again

dynamisoz

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks in advance

My car is a GTI not sure if the R uses the same parts,

but I ordered from these sellers couple of days ago

Clutch Kit (Pressure Plate) 07K 141 015 BX - $372 https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-parts/audi-clutch-kit-07k141015bx

Clutch Disk 1878 005 146 - $119 https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/73466/Clutch-Disc-240mm-1878005146/

Throw out Bearing (metal one piece) 0A5 141 671 F - $128 https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/136023/Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-0A5141671F/

Luk DMFW DMF131 - $279 https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=dmf131
when i received the DMFW, it said SACHS #2294 000 838. It came in a LUK box but had the SACHS flywheel.

N90665001 https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/pro...t-hd---USE-FOR-REMARKS/5341237/N90665001.html

N90320701 https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/pro...NT-SCREW-AC-UNIT-AC-AC/5309046/N90320701.html

N90847002 https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/pro...bearing--SHOULDER-BOLT/5391114/N90847002.html

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the link to the very detailed DIY; did you have to do anything different to the ttrs pressure plate, like enlarge/drill the holes that mate to the pins on the stock DMFW? Cause I’ve read somewhere that the mating holes on the stock ttrs pressure plate are slightly smaller and need to be drilled bigger; and that’s what HS tuning are doing to their RSR kit

Thx again

Yes, as detailed in the first post of this thread you must slightly enlarge the 3 holes on the pressure plate that mate to the DMFW. I worked my way up through a few drill bits and kept test fitting the pressure plate on the flywheel. Just did it with a hand drill and normal drill bits. Overall the holes probably get enlarged by 1/8" or so. It's really simple and logical when you have the parts sitting in front of you, not really anything you can mess up as long as you enlarge the correct holes.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, as detailed in the first post of this thread you must slightly enlarge the 3 holes on the pressure plate that mate to the DMFW. I worked my way up through a few drill bits and kept test fitting the pressure plate on the flywheel. Just did it with a hand drill and normal drill bits. Overall the holes probably get enlarged by 1/8" or so. It's really simple and logical when you have the parts sitting in front of you, not really anything you can mess up as long as you enlarge the correct holes.

This. It's really not anything to be concerned with if you can use a hand drill.

dynamisoz

Passed Driver's Ed
my rsr clutch with new DMFW going in this Saturday. also doing the rear main seal with iAbed rms kit. looking forward to not slipping.!! inal

UPDATE: Finally got my clutch install yesterday. pedal feel is so much more firmer than stock. not good for my bad left knee. Hope it gets softer as it breaks in. I could already tell this RSR clutch grabs harder even without driving it hard. Engagement is definitely lower than stock. will update when 500mi break in is done.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited: