GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

noisy wheels/tyres

malcolm5054

My gti mk6 is very noisy on some roads even the motorway...from the wheels/tyres. So changed the front tyres to the quietest I could get and although some improvement still very noisy. Stands out cos the car is otherwise very quiet. So does my car have a fault cos it is still under warranty?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
if it's just some roads that is noisy, it's the road...not the tires.

Phur

Autocross Champion
While I think some tires might have a tendency to resonate more than others, I agree with nv. Some surfaces are simply louder than others. It is possible that a smaller diameter wheel and softer suspension might help, but at what cost? One buys a GTI because of the performance. My advice... crank up the stereo and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
My gti mk6 is very noisy on some roads even the motorway...from the wheels/tyres. So changed the front tyres to the quietest I could get and although some improvement still very noisy. Stands out cos the car is otherwise very quiet. So does my car have a fault cos it is still under warranty?
Have a mechanic check your wheel bearings, the VW wheel bearing are not the best, they get damaged easily, if you look at them the wrong way. When they are damaged they are noisy and can wear your tires unevenly making it more difficult to diagnose without swapping the wheel/tires with a good set.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Have a mechanic check your wheel bearings, the VW wheel bearing are not the best, they get damaged easily, if you look at them the wrong way. When they are damaged they are noisy and can wear your tires unevenly making it more difficult to diagnose without swapping the wheel/tires with a good set.

Agreed.

Is it a droning noise...OOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM...?

A surefire way to tell that it's a wheel bearing (had to replace two) is does the sound go away if you're driving down the street and you jerk the wheel back and forth to the left then to the right? Less pronounced when you're going around a corner?

Then, it's a bearing.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
If the noise remains the same regardless of changes in road surface (for example moving from a newly laid surface to old) it’s likely the bearings, as mentioned above loading and unloading either side of the car by snaking/swerving while driving will help diagnose a failed bearing and its position, the only real way to limit tyre noise is to rotate them regularly! Ignore any dB rating stated for the tyre as it is not regulated and is purely a manufacturer rating (as are the wet grip and fuel efficiency ratings), the quietest tyres (particularly on the rear due to the camber) are tyres with a solid band on the inner side of the inner tread blocks, directional tyres and tyres with large, split tread blocks on the inner edge are the worst for noise, having said that Asymmetric tyres with a small or joined inner tread block are obviously going to be the quietest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk