GOLFMKV

Has anyone hit 250,000 miles yet??

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
*insert Heath Ledger Joker clap gif*

F Photobucket.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
250k miles...In Minnesota...where there is snow and salt for like 9 months of the year?? I'm even more impressed now

The trick for salt I do is detail and seal the car repeatedly before winter. Then I don't wash it all winter unless I can't see or ice is impeding movement. Then clean the hell out of it every spring. Every spring I have a small section of my front passenger fender near the rear that always peels paint, only there and I repaint it annually. Had it professionally done too to no avail. Oh well, minor inconvenience.

Keep fixing issues when you find them, and don't skip maintenance, and you guys will get here eventually.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
This is great news. I only have 45k miles hahah. Glad these were made to go the distance.

Not many of them will do so without much complaining along the way. My car, at 145k miles, has eaten 1 intake manifold, 2 PCV plates, 1 rear main seal, 1 DMF, 2 passenger side axles... preventative maintenance was tensioner and chains and associated hardware, 2 carbon cleanings, all the fluids.

If I could do it again, I would, but I'd get a catch can first thing to protect the PCV and RMS.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Wow! Well done, good to hear they can go for so long. I'm at about 125 and I thought that was getting up there.

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 179k miles. Am I the closest one to you on the forums? My end goal was 200k, but you blew waaay past me!!

My repair/major maintenance history in a nut shell:

- 2 failed intake manifolds
- 2 carbon cleanings
- 1 failed PCV plate
- 1 failed RMS
- Replaced chain tensioner (preventative maintenance)

Irishbri

Go Kart Champion
The trick for salt I do is detail and seal the car repeatedly before winter. Then I don't wash it all winter unless I can't see or ice is impeding movement. Then clean the hell out of it every spring. Every spring I have a small section of my front passenger fender near the rear that always peels paint, only there and I repaint it annually. Had it professionally done too to no avail. Oh well, minor inconvenience.

Keep fixing issues when you find them, and don't skip maintenance, and you guys will get here eventually.

Impressive! :clap:

I'm at 179k miles. Am I the closest one to you on the forums? My end goal was 200k, but you blew waaay past me!!

My repair/major maintenance history in a nut shell:

- 2 failed intake manifolds
- 2 carbon cleanings
- 1 failed PCV plate
- 1 failed RMS
- Replaced chain tensioner (preventative maintenance)

At what mileage did you replace the chain tensioner? Was this recommended by a dealer or were you just getting in front of it? I am about to hit 160K.

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
138k daily driven, and the only car in my household. So at minimum 300 a week going to and from work.

Cobb Stage 2 with a Milltek TurboBack for the past 3 months, was Cobb Stage 1+ for 2 years prior. Before that was APR Intake and Catback only.

-1 Failed Intake Manifold
-3ish Failed Radiators (1st was a leak covered under warranty, the 2nd was the U102F code for the sensor attached covered under warranty, the 3rd is the same issue and still in the car)
-1.5 Carbon Cleanings (1 at 63k, 0.5 at 93k when the manifold was off, 3rd one will be around 145-150k most likely)
-Major Sunroof Leak (was a cracked rear rain tray guard)

Otherwise the car has been great. Any other grievances are nothing to do with the GTI itself, but with my mod choices (mostly suspension parts).

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
My plan is to sell the car at 250k and buy a nice used MK7.

Currently I'm at 125k and growing 500 miles a week.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I’m just shy of about 210k miles to go.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Not many of them will do so without much complaining along the way. My car, at 157k miles, has eaten 1 intake manifold, 2 PCV plates, 1 rear main seal, 1 DMF, 2 passenger side axles, 2 rear brake calipers... preventative maintenance was tensioner and chains and associated hardware, 2 carbon cleanings, all the fluids.

If I could do it again, I would, but I'd get a catch can first thing to protect the PCV and RMS.

Another longevity update: 157k miles now. Both rear brake calipers partially seized (e-brake lever axle seized), so added 2 rear brake calipers to the list.

Fairly immediately pressing are the struts, now worn to the point of making the car feel pretty unsettled with poor body control over rough roads and abrupt direction changes. Would like to do those this springtime.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion