GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG: Hard Downshift Clunk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
x2 when i've accidentally shifted into 1st coming to a stop the trans kind of gives up and just goes into neutral or something lol.

Oh also want to side with others that takeoff's will be shaky usually. especially if on mounts

Yeah it's a cringe situation lol. I need mounts hopefully this summer. BFI stage 2 mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xapz

I know the clunk you are referring too...and no its not normal for a new transmission. It is normal to find this sort of behavior when you have some serious miles on it but not for a new one.

The aforementioned engine braking from 2nd to 1st is not the clunk i think you are referring to...that should happen without a sharp sudden clunk, but can cause a bit of driveline vibration as the clutch is slipped in.

The clunking is known as a rough shift and is a common problem on aging clutch packs where the plates tend to stick or the mechatronics solenoids are sticking. I'm assuming a new clutch pack came with the new dsg box! - reusing the old clutch pack would certainly cause this sort of an issue.

They said this was a BRAND new transmission, everything was new. Ordered this from Texas, I’m in Boston.

The clunk is not frequent, it really just sounds like the gear is engaging hard if I was too not let it roll and forcefully break.. it’s not actually when I’m turning I only said that because when I’m usually turning I tend to whip around causing a quick downshift, not fully breaking always. I’ve always taken my car to this dealer, and other then this the tranny performs perfectly

& yes I always have and always will use the E-break been doing that way before my GTI.. I let my foot off last + like I stated above all the mounts + sub frame checked out normal & in spec

I DO NOT use the paddles, not a huge fan to be honest so this is completely just using D mode

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
My DSG has always had a noise when downshifting in D mode as I roll to a stop usually 3-2 to 2-1, but it doesnt always do it. It sounds like a metallic clack or like a "chk" sound coming from the engine/trans area. Zero issues with driveability or shifting though I've learned to live with it. Its quite loud too. Ive heard its possibly faulty solenoids in the mechatronic but I haven't bothered to get anything fixed as it doesn't cause any problems. I frequently check for faults too and nothing.

Uberryan

Banned
How loud is the downshift, like would you say it's loud like a loud clunk, or does it just give you the sensation and that's it?

Sounds like a solenoid is drying up on the mechatronics unit. Same thing is happening to mine.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
It's sad that we have to be careful what inputs we give are cars [emoji1] ....
I pretty much drive my car with 2 feet like a manual .... Other than mine isn't supposed to be a manual .... Semi-automatic transmission Supposably ....

My S-tronic is the loudest when I am stopping at the window going through the drive-through .... Sounds like a Civic which is rather embarrassing considering it isn't really supposed to be a Civic at all .... Thinking I may change the fluid again to oem fluid instead of liquimoly.
Also I get the jumping when I first put my car in drive after I first start it .... Sporadically.....

I may post a video of it going through the drive through to show how loud it is and rackety

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Uberryan

Banned
It's sad that we have to be careful what inputs we give are cars [emoji1] ....
I pretty much drive my car with 2 feet like a manual .... Other than mine isn't supposed to be a manual .... Semi-automatic transmission Supposably ....

My S-tronic is the loudest when I am stopping at the window going through the drive-through .... Sounds like a Civic which is rather embarrassing considering it isn't really supposed to be a Civic at all .... Thinking I may change the fluid again to oem fluid instead of liquimoly.
Also I get the jumping when I first put my car in drive after I first start it .... Sporadically.....

I may post a video of it going through the drive through to show how loud it is and rackety

Suggest if you all are having loud shifts and clunking, as well as lurches, and hesitations giving and letting off throttle, you file a complaint with the NHTSA. This is the same behavior that caused the recalls of the mechatronics units and any subsequent damage to the components as a result on the MKV DSG units. Only problem is, they used the exact same model/unit in our car, but we were not extended a recall. If you consider their behavior bad or unpleasant now, it gets much worse... and much more expensive.

The cause for concern is eventually severe throttle response delay. Several accidents occurred on the MKV platform due to this same exact issue we're experiencing. Only it's in its infancy. It's either that, or eventually shell out $5k+ to rebuild the entire transmission or swap to a used unit and likely experience the same behavior at some point. Even the MK7 7-spd DSG units had a similar issue they addressed or have tried to. It's definitely a serious matter in regards to longevity of the vehicle and safe operation of it.

Last edited:

KDOG1

Ready to race!
When you're new to DSG and get it in the summer, you haven't experienced rough/hard shifts until you have driven it in the winter :lol: First 5minutes or so, you're like DAFAQ going on here.

But as you drive with DSG more and more, you start to get into the habit of being smooth with your inputs and avoiding certain things that can confuse the trans on what you want to do.

agreed, I have had my mechatronics replaced first a month ish after buying shortly after that was replaced same problems when first getting in the car and shifting/clunking from parked, and then an entire brand new transmission 6k miles ago now, while I don't really get a winter here, but if I don't let my car run for a couple mins before I leave when I'm in a rush and I hit stop signs around my house. I get the jerky/jumpy shifting into gear after stopping and going through the stop signs in D even with a brand new tranny and mech.. Its typically just when warming up, its almost like the gear catches up and grabs it and that's why it jerks when I stop and go when its still cold.. if that makes sense haha that is how I would describe the feeling

same here with the downshifting I typically only drive it in D when I just started it and warming it up, or I'm low on gas, so I always drive in manual mode and I never ever shift from 2-1 myself I let it do it.. it always is jerky and bucks if I go from 2 to 1 myself, like I staled out our missed a gear like an idiot if I do it myself.

although occasionaly while iam warmed up I do get that same kind of clunk like the gear caught up and grabbed it and it jerks and makes a metal on metal noise out of no where sometimes which always makes me cringe.. idk what it could be with all new trans components..

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
KDOG - if it's a new transmission from VW it will be a refurbished unit .... Which means some of the components are still old .... And sometimes the differential is the culprit to the whole jumping issues because of differential deterioration .... Means that little flecks of metal get everywhere in the transmission and magnetize onto the mechatronics solenoids creating additional issues ....
There is a thread somewhere on the vortex where the guy fixed his issues by rebuiding the whole transmission himself and cleaning it and replacing the solenoids and replacing the open diff with a limited slip diff .... Solved his issues