GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
shaking at highway speeds

has anyone have a vibration throughout the entire car? I dont really feel it in the steering wheel but i can feel it in the seat and armrest. if im around 75-80 then you can really feel it. below that it seems ok. i made sure to balance my snow tires before putting them on. my car has around 60k on it and im wondering if its time for a suspension refresh. no loose balljoints or wheel bearings. the car does have neuspeed sport springs on the stock shocks. im wondering if theyre tired at this point.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI CSG-DSG
First check your wheels for proper balance & any bends. If that is good then look elsewhere.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #3
Mk6_vic
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI 2011. 2-Door. Candy White
Rims hub centric to 57.1?
Mk6_vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
riceburner
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
This is a pretty common issue with not so common fixes. After discussing this with a few and reading through tons of material, this can be anything from strut mounts, hubs, shocks, control arm bushings, steering rack/bushing, imbalanced wheels, poor tire wear, sway bar/bushings. Its even been discussed that the general geometry of the cars just aren't perfect... best of luck
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
has anyone have a vibration throughout the entire car? I dont really feel it in the steering wheel but i can feel it in the seat and armrest. if im around 75-80 then you can really feel it. below that it seems ok. i made sure to balance my snow tires before putting them on. my car has around 60k on it and im wondering if its time for a suspension refresh. no loose balljoints or wheel bearings. the car does have neuspeed sport springs on the stock shocks. im wondering if theyre tired at this point.
youre in PA so ill just mention if its been snowing and theres snow packed into your wheels it can seriously throw them out of balance and youll get bad shaking at highway speeds. then when it thaws everything will be back to normal. i only mention cause it happens to me every year and i forget and get all freaked out til i remember
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, CTS Chargepipe & TOP, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Dealing with the same issue. Slight vibration at low speeds that gets worse as the speed increases. It’s driving me nuts as I just had a new set of tires put on and the balance has been checked 3 times now.
This car is turning into a love hate relationship.