GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
nevekd128
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: sf muni
RLS (rain light sensor)windshield

If i get an RLS windshield from safelite, i should be able to finish the wiring for rain wipers and auto headlights and leaving/coming home correct?
Old 05-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
dima1978

Drives: mk6
Kinda late but do not get safelite glass( unless they install SEK w/s) make sure they use high mod urethane, clean out the frame well, use body primer. After the install, all you have to do is to wire everything according to a DIY ( flowting around at a TDI forum);plus, minor vcds stuff. I would wire everything prior to glass swap so the tech applies the gel pad for you, for warranty purposes. :-) PS If they try to tell you their glass meets all DOT standards... blah, blah, blah... don't pay attention. You want FW03187 GTY SEK glass ( foreign windshield 3187 green, no shade band, with attachments. ( if you drive mk6 GTI)
dima1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Rolling_GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 GTI
Listen to these guys. I'm on my 4th windshield. My third one was the safelite one and it pitted so easily it was junk within 6 months. Also the noise through it was more. OEM has a noise reduction coating that works fairly well.

Suggestion: wax the hell out of the windshield when its new. It protects it more than you might think from pitting.
APR K04 | ESC Disabled | Carbonio | COBB TBE | RR Stage 3 clutch | Scarlet Red VMR 701's 18" | Black Unibrace UB & XB | VF Engine/Tranny mounts | DG Skid Plate | S3 Short Shifter | EBC Red Pads, Slotted Rotors | Filled Hood Notch | LED Tails | 35% Tint | Too many small mods to list

I've driven her 253,000 hard miles and still loving it! 27MPG Lifetime average
Rolling_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
I have the OEM branded RLS windshield...it's holding up better than my stock windshield. It has multiple coatings which I think helps in preventing chips/pitting
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Timo
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
I have the OEM branded RLS windshield...it's holding up better than my stock windshield. It has multiple coatings which I think helps in preventing chips/pitting
How much should I expect to pay for OEM branded RLS windshield?
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
How much should I expect to pay for OEM branded RLS windshield?
If you want the same manufacture (Saint-Gobain Sekurit), I paid just under $400 installed for just the windshield. It has the 3 step glazing not found on the MK5 windshield, making it more durable and quieter.

However, if you want the "VW" stamped Saint-Gobain Sekurit windshield, it'll cost around $700+ to import it into the US (not sure of Canada) because no one carries it/stocks it according to my glass guy (30+ yrs in the business).
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
StorminNorman
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 13 CSG GTI DSG, Sunroof & NAV
Hey sorry to revive this thread but what do I need to say to safelite in order to get the Saint Gobain RLS Windshield on my MK6? Just tell them I have the rain sensor? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
ImitationMan
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4Dr CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Hey sorry to revive this thread but what do I need to say to safelite in order to get the Saint Gobain RLS Windshield on my MK6? Just tell them I have the rain sensor? Thanks

It's like I'm following you around the forum - since I just went through this here's my input:

I went with Safelite's brand of windshield, even after reading these threads and thinking I wanted OEM. I can't tell a difference from the OEM that was replaced (except no crack) and it only cost me $320 before tax. I have no regrets with my decision - especially since I saved at least $300 - which would pay for another windshield if I get hit with another big rock.

I went on their website and I ordered the windshield for a car with a RLS. I installed all the wires and put in the coding before the windshield install. Then I just gave the installer the light sensor and new mirror and asked them to put it on rather than the mirror that came off. The windshield came from Safelite with the metal bracket that holds the RLS sensor already glued to it. That metal bracket and the black stuff around it are the only difference between a RLS windshield and a non-RLS windshield.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
StorminNorman
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 13 CSG GTI DSG, Sunroof & NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationMan View Post
It's like I'm following you around the forum - since I just went through this here's my input:

I went with Safelite's brand of windshield, even after reading these threads and thinking I wanted OEM. I can't tell a difference from the OEM that was replaced (except no crack) and it only cost me $320 before tax. I have no regrets with my decision - especially since I saved at least $300 - which would pay for another windshield if I get hit with another big rock.

I went on their website and I ordered the windshield for a car with a RLS. I installed all the wires and put in the coding before the windshield install. Then I just gave the installer the light sensor and new mirror and asked them to put it on rather than the mirror that came off. The windshield came from Safelite with the metal bracket that holds the RLS sensor already glued to it. That metal bracket and the black stuff around it are the only difference between a RLS windshield and a non-RLS windshield.

Okay cool thatís good to hear. Whatís the safelite brand? Is it Saint-Gobain?

StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
ImitationMan
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4Dr CSG
I believe Safelite has their own brand of windshields. They deal with so many windshields that they purchased their supplier. I got to talk to one of the installers for about 2 hours because the first installer came and went in about 30 minutes and let my windshield slip so that I had a gap at the top of the glass and the VIN was mostly obscured. The second guy came out to reseat it and broke the 1st new windshield taking it out. He had spare in the van and was ready for it. He took his time installing the 2nd windshield and made sure it didn't slip down again while answering all of my questions.