GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #4005
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNaH_GTI View Post
After 80k on the original shocks I finally got around to installing VWR springs I've had for over a year and new Bilsteins HD, I did not go with the Sports as I didnt think to drop required it. Car is DSG.

So far I am loving the feel, not harsh at all and much better cornering speeds, the drop was actually more than I thought it would be and did settle even a bit more after 2 weeks.

Photo shows tip of key at top of tire, giving an idea of the amount of body drop (right after install), very pleased with the modification.

Nice drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #4006
rtnlsltn
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI | 01 Ducati M750
Since the 2DR DSG springs seem to be sold out everywhere, what are the alternative options?
rtnlsltn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #4007
hack-man162
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNaH_GTI View Post
After 80k on the original shocks I finally got around to installing VWR springs I've had for over a year and new Bilsteins HD, I did not go with the Sports as I didnt think to drop required it. Car is DSG.
So far I am loving the feel, not harsh at all and much better cornering speeds, the drop was actually more than I thought it would be and did settle even a bit more after 2 weeks.

Photo shows tip of key at top of tire, giving an idea of the amount of body drop (right after install), very pleased with the modification.

This looks really good. Are the VWR springs a single spring covering the whole platform, or are there different part numbers for 2-door, DSG? Looking at ECS, they only list one.
hack-man162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #4008
Junebugz_GTI10

Drives: 2010 GTI 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomtt View Post
I should also note I'm currently running 10mm spacers up front and 15mm in the rears.

Don't want any rubbing, hence going with dsg springs for my dsg gti. Not too worries about rake, just want a planted lower setup
What did you end up doing?
Junebugz_GTI10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #4009
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Have put on about 500 miles or so on the VWR sport shocks and springs. Have around 24 7/8 drop front passenger, 25 rear passenger, 25 1/4-1/2 driver rear and about 24 7/8 front driver side. Does the fuel tank have that big of an impact on drop of the rear passenger side? I have the TT spring perches. So, they bring up rear a little to avoid reverse rake. The springs were originally on my stock struts and shocks for about 7500 miles.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 AM   #4010
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
If the driver rear is higher, I'd pull the TT pad out & put the stock one back in on that side only to compensate (if the passenger side is lower). That should level it out

Kind of like adjusting the perches on rear coilover springs, except with the thickness of rubber pads

But before you do that, double check your measurements on LEVEL ground
Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #4011
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
If the driver rear is higher, I'd pull the TT pad out & put the stock one back in on that side only to compensate (if the passenger side is lower). That should level it out

Kind of like adjusting the perches on rear coilover springs, except with the thickness of rubber pads

But before you do that, double check your measurements on LEVEL ground

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I also measured on flat ground in my garage and seems to be consistent. I mean these springs have 8k miles on them. VWRs dont really have a track record of sagging too much do they?

Old 04-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #4012
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
I have the Mk6 R very springs .... Same issue .... You need to make sure everything is torqued correctly when installing these .... I swapped springs side to side and re-torqued everything .... Seem to help ....

You have an after market sway bar??

I may just remove one of my tt spring pads ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
OEMPL+S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 PM   #4013
hbrown0509
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMPL+S View Post
I have the Mk6 R very springs .... Same issue .... You need to make sure everything is torqued correctly when installing these .... I swapped springs side to side and re-torqued everything .... Seem to help ....

You have an after market sway bar??

I may just remove one of my tt spring pads ....

Interesting Im not the only one with this issue. Thought about switching the springs but may just do the pad thing.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #4014
OEMPL+S
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 11' A3 T Quattro ScubaBlue
Ya I don't know what it is ....
I think it just may have to do with torqing all the control arms at the correct angle .... Also aftermarket sways can cause pre-load if not installed and unloaded before there connected.
Does your left wheel stick out further than the right wheel ? .... Subframe can be off on these cars ....

OEMPL+S is offline   Reply With Quote