GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Cbell3186
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 DSG
How much do you LOVE your Golf R? HELP!

Im kicking around the thought of getting an R maybe MK6 but most likely MK7, but am on the fence about a few things. I have been lusting after an R for a couple years.

I currently own a 2011 GTI and love it. The versatility and practicality of it is awesome. Im not making a ton of power but the traction is limited even now.The hatch aspect is perfect for what I need for camping, biking, dog, people hauling, active lifestyle etc.

I also own a 1999 Corvette C5 that resides in the garage most of the time. I have moved to Austin and rarely drive the Vette seeing how everything is so close. I work from home so enjoying the commute to work is nonexistent. I have had my Vette for 11 years and feel like its time to move on.
I am debating selling my Vette and trading in/selling my GTI to have one Golf R.

The question is, will the R fill the performance aspect void that I will have if I sell my Vette? (Different animals, I know) After a few mods, Im sure the speed and handling will be more than enough. What do you love/hate about your R??
Cbell3186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
NekroRocker
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf R
This is just my opinion but you'll probably love owning an R more than a C5 vette. Especially if your vette is just sitting in the garage. It sounds like you already love your GTI, the R is even more enjoyable. Good luck whatever your decision is.
NekroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
gdub09
Autocross Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
R's are awesome but you can put a few bucks into your GTI if you sell the Vette and have R performance minus 4mo. But I've driven a few MK7 Rs and they are addicting.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Cbell3186
Drag Racing Champion

Where I used to live (northern suburbs of IL) everything was so spread out so I got a decent chance to drive it. Speed bumps were nonexistent and there very few curbs/ramps into places. Seems like I scrape on everything out here with the Vette so parking lot driving is annoying. If I sold the Vette, I would definitely want an R.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
t'sGTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 R
I have a 2013 R and love it.
Great traction compared to the 2011 GTI that I had.
Very good in the wet and snow (which won't apply to you) and no spinning
front wheels on take off.

The new ones are even better with more power etc.
t'sGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Cbell3186
Drag Racing Champion

yeah I am leaning towards a 2016 at the moment. In then next 6 months or so I will start looking pretty hard at them but realize I need to be patient if I want it spec'd out the way I like.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #7
Korydogg
Oval Champion

Drives: '14 Drivers Edition
Buy the R and if you don't like it sell it. Life is short......if youre a car guy and appreciate the performance than youll enjoy it.
Korydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #8
SpecterXP
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 Golf R
I bought a R in November and it was totaled in January. I flew the El Paso Texas to buy another. I will not go back to FWD for performance. I personally like the MK6 better than the MK7 as far as looks go. The MK7 has more creature comforts but that's not enough to sway me from the MK6. It doesn't take much to get the MK6 to be better than the MK7.

The one thing that stands out to me about the MK7 is Android Auto and CarPlay. PeterDNA solved that problem for the MK6 so it's a no brainer to stick with the MK6 in my opinion.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
SpecterXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 AM   #9
CharT99
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 RB Golf R
I have a Mk6 4dr Golf R with Stage 1 tune and a stock C7 Grand Sport. I drive the Golf way more and enjoy it on a daily basis. The Corvette has competition seats and feels more special than the Golf. The NA motor feels totally different than the turbo motor and the V8 sound is in it's own league. For pure driving excitement, I vote for the Corvette.

However, if I was forced to keep only one car, I'd keep the Golf R and sell the 'Vette.
CharT99 is offline   Reply With Quote