GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Catch Can for the 2.5

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
With the high reving I've done in the last few months, I've noticed alot of more oil in the intake manifold(s) than normal. Removed and cleaned it with gasoline when I've switched them but want to fix this once and for all. Oil or oil fumes in the intake manifold increases octane requirements, if detonation is detected our ECU pulls timing.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Standard-Poly-Bowl-Filter-HDA70603AV/100040942

I never owned one of these before, all my other cars had pretty good air/oil separators. I bought one of these Husky Compressor Filters from Home Depot a few days ago, intending on making an oil Catch Can out of it. On the ST forum they say Ford used this very product as a catch can for the GT500 development.

I was thinking to make it a vent to air type instead of the recirculate type thats common for VW/Audi but am I asking for more trouble than its worth.

I still need to decide on a few more things, including where and how to mount this thing. Buy...

2 barbs
hoses
clamps
Small Filter ? (vent to air)

Any suggestions on design, parts, location, vent to air or recirculate, plus/minus ?

Attachments

• Husky Catch Can.jpg
    Husky Catch Can.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Judging by the reviews on that catch can it looks like it may have issues holding pressure and it will have a pretty good vacuum at idle so if it leaks your gonna have some issues. Vented to atmosphere may be a better option but I'm not sure how that works with the stock valve cover. Someone also said it was self draining when pressure was released. I don't know what that's about. Fittings shouldn't be too hard to find for the can. I ended up buying a used vw pcv hose on ebay to scavenge the fittings from for connecting to the valve cover and manifold. Also had to find some pretty stout pcv hose and even that would flex pretty hard at idle. I see why they use corrugated hard plastic for those hoses.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Judging by the reviews on that catch can it looks like it may have issues holding pressure and it will have a pretty good vacuum at idle so if it leaks your gonna have some issues. Vented to atmosphere may be a better option but I'm not sure how that works with the stock valve cover. Someone also said it was self draining when pressure was released. I don't know what that's about. Fittings shouldn't be too hard to find for the can. I ended up buying a used vw pcv hose on ebay to scavenge the fittings from for connecting to the valve cover and manifold. Also had to find some pretty stout pcv hose and even that would flex pretty hard at idle. I see why they use corrugated hard plastic for those hoses.
I will be sealing off the drain cock with some JB Weld.

Planning to use Fuel Line hoses, as they are pressure rated.

Good points, so since you wound up buying a used PCV hose, I take it you install your APR Catch Can in line with the original Air/Oil Separator ?

The issues if I go vent to air is (1) dirty oily engine bay which I already have but not the oily part. (2) Engine oil gets dirty faster as its no longer sealed and dirt can get sucked in easier. (3) more fequent oil changes, as more moisture get trapped inside the crankcase and takes longer to burn off.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yep just plumbed it in-line. Works like a charm. Checked the output side and intake when I did the CAI and it was dry as a bone.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
A thought on mounting the catch can. I had thought of using a hose clamp around the intake hose unterlocked with a hose clamp around the catch can so when they're both clamped down it makes a sturdy connection. They may be both at 90 degree angles depending on your setup. The hose to and from the catch can is sturdy enough to pretty much support it so the mount just gives it a home. And if you use black clamps you wouldn't really notice them too much.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
So will venting the catch can to atmosphere cause a check engine light. I'm gonna put on the ie valve cover, cap the vacuum port on the IM and run a line from the valve cover breather to the catch can and vent the can to atm. IE's website says removing the pcv will cause a cel. I am just not sure if they are just saying that for legal reasons.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So will venting the catch can to atmosphere cause a check engine light. I'm gonna put on the ie valve cover, cap the vacuum port on the IM and run a line from the valve cover breather to the catch can and vent the can to atm. IE's website says removing the pcv will cause a cel. I am just not sure if they are just saying that for legal reasons.
Advanturous are we? :thumbup: