GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #127
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Scott20 View Post
I was having big exhaust smoking (at idle only) after APR CC installed, anyone experienced?

But, it is normal now with no smoking after I rerouted the front PCV hose, which I did it as OEM- Front PCV port connects to intake manifold.
I took out the plug (APR provided) from rear PCV port and use another hose connecting rear PCV port with APR catch can port, then no smoking anymore.
So you made the APR CC layout like the ECS CC layout but reconnected the vacuum source from the intake manifold to the front of the PCV plate? This is the setup I run and crankcase pressures are a non-issue.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #128
A3Scott20
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 A3 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
So you made the APR CC layout like the ECS CC layout but reconnected the vacuum source from the intake manifold to the front of the PCV plate? This is the setup I run and crankcase pressures are a non-issue.
Yes I'm running exactly what you have mentioned with no smoking. It is really weird that some of my friends runs fine with APR CC but mine is not. With new PCV it is no change.
A3Scott20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #129
LaRayes
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI APR K04 DSG
i am running APR stage 2 intake pipe and the rear pcv hose connection with the pipe is a bad fit that leaks oil, I really want to fix this issue. Is the pcv connection on the intake pipe blocked off? and where does the long hose connect in the back? since if it connects to the same APR intake pipe it will not be a good fit with the OEM connector. any help would be much appreciated.
LaRayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #130
Lazer 100
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
The can is designed to trap the junk, so hopefully nothing gets by but cleaner gasses. It's catching the gunk as much as possible to prevent it from getting into your intake directly.

You can't run the can to the manifold alone. Think about how the engine works when there's boost pressure. Boost would go from manifold -> leak into can, pressurizing it -> blast full force into the PCV system.

All the pressure building up in your crankcase at that point would have nowhere to go. Remember, the gasses in the crankcase build up much faster when you're boosting the engine hard. So, they can only go slipping past the rings, or maybe blow up the PCV and blasting out the rear plug if not alleviated. In that scenario, the can would only work when you're off the throttle, so no good.

I believe so. There is an engine removal hook that would need to be removed, then the edge may be trimmed to fit.
@arin@apr

I understand that catch cans are good for keeping unwanted gasses etc... out of unwanted places, which is great, but the problem I'm having isn't so much with the gasses. When I autocross all of the oil sloshes around in my crankcase and is making is way into my intake manifold, which in turn gets burnt off when I restart the engine.

I'm APR all the way and would prefer to get this catch can, but if I'm understanding the layout/diagram properly, the APR catch can wouldn't solve this problem whereas catch cans with a pcv delete would.

Is this correct, or am I just an idiot and misunderstanding the diagram?
Lazer 100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #131
Arin@APR
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: B8 S4 & MK5 GTI
It's probably just not clear. The PCV is retained, which means the fine and coarse oil seperation still takes place, sending oil back into the pan. We block off the rear port, so no oil barfs into the intake, pre turbo. Then in the front it goes from the PCV, to the can, to the intake manifold. Anything barfed into the manifold, now barfs into the can.
Arin@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #132
Lazer 100
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Got it. So I'll probably just have to empty it a couple of times over the weekend.

I'll have at least 1 event before I'm able to get one and install it, am I running a huge risk by letting oil get past the pcv valve, which I'm pretty sure is broken anyway?

Also, would it be a good idea to still replace the broken pcv valve after I install the catch can, or does it make any difference since everything is getting sorted out via the catch can?

Thanks for the help.
Lazer 100 is online now   Reply With Quote