GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official CANDY WHITE GOLF/GTI Thread...

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Poorly centered but she was asking for it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Looks great! I want to go "GTI"less but the little spot in the honey comb that's left bare bothers me. I went and bought a german flag and put it in its place and I am unsure if I want to keep it. I wish I could find a grille that just doesnt have the gti mounting location in the first place. I know they have them without the VW badge but I like the VW symbol on the front.

How much did it cost you to get the center section in the lower portion of the grille painted white? I think that's next on my list but I haven't been by a body shop yet to get an estimate.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Thanks!

The ground thing isn't too noticable I'm but I feel ya. Overall glad I did it.

I actually got 5 sq feet of color match vynil from whoever makes the badge inserts for our cars. It's a pretty close match. You might see a square of it where my front plate holes used to be... Haha

Warning, not too hard to actually wrap it, but disassembling the front bumper was a nightmare. But again worth it 100%

Korydogg

Ready to race!
Thanks!

The ground thing isn't too noticable I'm but I feel ya. Overall glad I did it.

I actually got 5 sq feet of color match vynil from whoever makes the badge inserts for our cars. It's a pretty close match. You might see a square of it where my front plate holes used to be... Haha

Warning, not too hard to actually wrap it, but disassembling the front bumper was a nightmare. But again worth it 100%

Damn! I didn't even notice until I zoomed in. Yea I can see the squares lol

There's a company that makes color matched plugs for those holes if you're interested:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11

Anyway, I had never even thought about vinyl wrap for the bumper. I might try that. I figured the bumper would suck to take apart. That seems to be the name of the game lol

riceburner

Autocross Champion
thank you! may need to buy a set or two - mine has like 5 stupid holes, also some scuff marks from years of the plate mount being on that the vinyl kind of helps to hide.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
thank you! may need to buy a set or two - mine has like 5 stupid holes, also some scuff marks from years of the plate mount being on that the vinyl kind of helps to hide.

I'd recommend just patching them yourself. It's actually not as difficult as you might think. It was my first refinishing project, but I just looked up some tutorials online, and took care of it with just:

-A razor blade
-Bondo gap filler
-A couple different grades of sandpaper
-Touch-up paint
-Rubbing/polishing compound

Altogether it's probably around the same price than buying two pairs of those plugs, but looks way better.

The results weren't absolutely perfect, but just looking at it you can't tell from more than a couple feet away, and that's IF you're look for it. If I were to do it again, I'd remember some lessons from the first time and could do it even better.

Before:

After:

I guess it depends on your paint color, though. White was pretty easy, but if you have a metallic or what not it might be trickier to match.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I'd recommend just patching them yourself. It's actually not as difficult as you might think. It was my first refinishing project, but I just looked up some tutorials online, and took care of it with just:

-A razor blade
-Bondo gap filler
-Touch-up paint

Altogether it's probably around the same price than buying two pairs of those plugs, but looks way better.

The results weren't absolutely perfect, but just looking at it you can't tell from more than a couple feet away, and that's IF you're look for it. If I were to do it again, I'd remember some lessons from the first time and could do it even better.

Before:
[IM//i.imgur.com/X9UCBnz.jpg[/IMG]

After:
[IM
I guess it depends on your paint color, though. White was pretty easy, but if you have a metallic or what not it might be trickier to match.

Nice work! I have considered that for sure... i did already razor down the edges, do have touch up paint. hmmm

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Oh hay

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cheder9000

Ready to race!

-A razor blade
-Bondo gap filler
-Touch-up paint

Before:

After:

Did you respray the whole bumper or just that area?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Removed the stripes from the grill and delivered them to the painter :D He did the rest

Ugh that 35 edition bumper :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

There was a guy 2 hours away selling one on here and he never replied to my PM's :(

riceburner

Autocross Champion
wonder how hard it would be to slap on some 'spats' like many bumpers have. obviously would have to source some that are for some other random car, and try to trim & fit to they install nicely. Just an idea i was tossing around haha