GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake upgrade

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. Time for brakes soon and I am leaning towards getting my hands on GTI carriers, calipers and rotors front and rear. Even my tdi had terrible brakes and they were very easy to overheat so I am assuming the 2.5L is no different. I have avoided heavy braking trips down any mountains for that reason. I figure I can turn the rotors, new pads and ss brake lines and call it done. Aside from the weight factor any downsides? Suggestions otherwise? Funny this was going to be my first upgrade with tires and suspension and I got sidetracked by other shiny objects.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
For pure stopping power, you can install one of the Big Brake Kits (BBK) that are available commercially, or using Porsche brakes like some GTi guys do. BUT when considering this for the 2.5, you should consider what you are trying to achieve.

Heavy or Large Diameter Rotors or Wheels = More Rotational Mass = Slower Car

Bigger brake rotors and Calipers can manage the heat produced by Braking over a longer sesson. The bigger parts act like a heat sink to disepate the heat produced over a longer peroid of time.

Your car, do what makes you happy.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Nice, but I'm not a fan of cross drilled rotors. I like the largest swept area possible so solids are what I use and I don't have to worry about cracks.

Pretty good results with Hawk HPS our Tiguan, currently running Portfield R4S on the Golf, maybe a bit expensive for daily driving but work great at the track for bite and feel.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
For budget upgrade, I'll upgrade to the boxster caliper conversion. the 4pot monobloc calipers are lighter than any floating caliper with great pad selections. GTI stock brake system sucks as well, so I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to it.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
For budget upgrade, I'll upgrade to the boxster caliper conversion. the 4pot monobloc calipers are lighter than any floating caliper with great pad selections. GTI stock brake system sucks as well, so I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to it.

Links for all parts needed to do this? Also looking to do this or Golf R brakes upgrade in the future.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I think I've decided to go with oem 312 front rotors and carriers, oem rear rotors and HPS pads all the way around. 312 rotors won't add much weight but should help with brake fade when coming back from the family cabin in the mountains. I think I am going to add the stiffer bushings as well for a firmer pedal.

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
someone else made this thread, good info

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51382

ill look for junk yard or ebay to source for cheaper calipers

For the price and convenience, I’ve been looking at a set of Golf R brakes from an MK7. The challenge was that I needed to go from the stock 15” steel rims to an 18” set... lucked out though and managed to get a set of 2008 R32 rims. I’ll send some pics but they look amazing - kind of like an OEM+ look and feel on my car.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
For the price and convenience, I’ve been looking at a set of Golf R brakes from an MK7. The challenge was that I needed to go from the stock 15” steel rims to an 18” set... lucked out though and managed to get a set of 2008 R32 rims. I’ll send some pics but they look amazing - kind of like an OEM+ look and feel on my car.

How much did that run you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmm. Interesting. I am on 17s. Not sure I would want to make the jump.

It was $150 for the set of 4 rims, and then another $700 to get them all redone (straightening, machining, painting, tire installation, and balancing), and then $380 for a nice set of Hankook tires (thanks Walmart). So $1200ish, all in.

I was comparing these to a new set of Hartmann rims, and well those were going to run me $200 + tax each for the rims for the cheapest ones, and well after seeing how the R32 rims look - I'm super glad I went this way. Kind of unique.

(see attached photo - top left hand corner - state of R32 rims, bottom left hand corner - stock wheels on car, top right hand corner - redone rims, bottom right hand corner - R32 rims and tires on car).

The MK7 Golf R Brakes are going to be $550 plus installation.

Mark

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 157

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did you source your brakes from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting them from a local performance shop - they do a lot of upgrades to GTIs and Golf R's - so I'm on their list for parts that are better than what I have on my 2.5L Golf. I think they have 2 or 3 sets of MK7 Golf R brakes at the moment and I'm told by their head tech that these will fit just fine on my 2.5L now that I have the 18" rims.

Mark