GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant Leak 2011 GTI

Doommachine_

I have a coolant leak that has grounded me. It appears to be coming from the front of the car near where the engine mates to the transmission. There is no coolant on the radiator lines or any of the other lines I can find in that area. It's dripping off the block in that front drivers side corner behind the electric coolant pump but not coming from it. Is there a plug or something there on the block that might be leaking? I ran out of energy for today. hopefully will be able to get more into it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I would say it is your pump leaking where it mounts to the block. It happens often when you have had a leaky valve cover the oil eats the seal. Its not too difficult to replace keep in mind the gear that holds the belt on the pump is reverse thread

Doommachine_

It does not appear to be coming from the front of the engine. Its coming from the back of the engine on the block behind the electric pump. Or at least thats where its dripping off the block

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
It does not appear to be coming from the front of the engine. Its coming from the back of the engine on the block behind the electric pump. Or at least thats where its dripping off the block

I'm confused because the electric pump is on the front side of the engine

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
The main water pump is on the front of the engine just below the intake manifold and the auxiliary pump is below that right at the bottom, your leak I’m sure will be coming from the main water pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
The main water pump is on the front of the engine just below the intake manifold and the auxiliary pump is below that right at the bottom, your leak I’m sure will be coming from the main water pump!

Just confirming before I take mine in for a slow, small leak, these are covered under the 60k power tram warranty correct?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Just confirming before I take mine in for a slow, small leak, these are covered under the 60k power tram warranty correct?

Yes! covered under 60K powertrain in the US.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Awesome, thanks! This is the second pump. Was replaced under recall.

I did read somewhere though that the pumps fitted as a recall aren’t covered under warranty, but not too sure about that! best bet is to call the dealership and check.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I did read somewhere though that the pumps fitted as a recall aren’t covered under warranty, but not too sure about that! best bet is to call the dealership and check.

Funny if that is correct. Let’s replace your failure prone water pump with another faulty pump but not cover that under warranty for poor engineering/installation error. I do have extended third party warranty if they would even cover it.

rawag77

Ready to race!
I've had my pump replaced 5 times, 1 under extended 3rd party warranty. The last one was caused by a small oil leak from the upper timing cover. If you're still within the 60k warranty, they should cover it.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I've had my pump replaced 5 times, 1 under extended 3rd party warranty. The last one was caused by a small oil leak from the upper timing cover. If you're still within the 60k warranty, they should cover it.

Thanks man!

Doommachine_

OMG its the Head Gasket. its leaking steady under around Cylinder 3. Tracked it with UV Dye. This motor looks like a nightmare to remove the head on with the 15,000 hoses going everywhere. I am disabled and can only work like 30 minutes at a time.