GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 upgrade Questions

furykicker

Hey guys,

2013 DSG Autobahn 52k miles checking in.

I’m going APR stage 1 with the intake next week and I’m also getting my shop to install a DV+ diverter valve, upgraded pcv valve, r8 coils, iridium spark plugs, and HPS Hawk break pads.

I’m extremely excited for the upgrades and my question is what else should I look to do? My car is a DD and the whole point of the upgrade is just to get some more power and to run more efficiently. I already upgraded my tires with Michelin Super Sports AS3+ and they only have about 4K miles on them. I want to make sure I’m not missing anything else with the tune upgrade.

Future upgrades include suspension (coils most likely) and exhaust. I’ve looked at the magma flow exhaust and really like the sound but if I were to go stage 2 with a down pipe is the magna flow necessary other than just for sound?

I’m completely new to modding but I’ve done a good deal of research so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Looks good, might as well have them check to see what version tensioner you have.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Mounts. I know it's just stage 1 but 034 Motorsports engine, tranny and dogbone puck I feel change the feel of the car. I also did subframe stiff kit and want to do their rear sway bar as well. Also if you live in hotter areas an upgraded intercooler does wonders. If ur just stopping at stage 1 then the golf r intercooler is a nice upgrade and just drops in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

furykicker

I’ve looked into mounts, so thanks for the suggestion. Where did you purchase them?

My plan was to stay stage 1 for awhile before going stage 2. I live in Louisiana where it is def hot and humid. I was gonna buy the APR intercooler but wanted to wait til stage 2. Do you think I’ll be ok until then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Looks good, might as well have them check to see what version tensioner you have.
I believe late 2012s were getting the new one so 2013 should be all set with it.

Mounts. I know it's just stage 1 but 034 Motorsports engine, tranny and dogbone puck I feel change the feel of the car. I also did subframe stiff kit and want to do their rear sway bar as well. Also if you live in hotter areas an upgraded intercooler does wonders. If ur just stopping at stage 1 then the golf r intercooler is a nice upgrade and just drops in.
Definitely this, I did the 034 SD mounts and they totally changed the feel of the car when you hit the gas. I have the ECS Pendulum and HPA Red puck which also felt great, but do add some significant vibration at idle if you're concerned about that. Gonna have my subframe collar kit put in with my clutch and LSD but i've heard great things about it.

I live in Louisiana where it is def hot and humid. I was gonna buy the APR intercooler but wanted to wait til stage 2. Do you think I’ll be ok until then?

If you're only going stage 2 you could probably get away with a frontmount like ARM for about half the price of the APR one. You'll still be able to drive it fine, just depending on the temperatures you may see some heatsoak on consecutive pulls.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I’ve looked into mounts, so thanks for the suggestion. Where did you purchase them?

My plan was to stay stage 1 for awhile before going stage 2. I live in Louisiana where it is def hot and humid. I was gonna buy the APR intercooler but wanted to wait til stage 2. Do you think I’ll be ok until then?

https://store.034motorsport.com/mot...-mkv-mkvi-volkswagen-8j-8p-audi-2-0t-fsi.html

Yes intercooler is very important it gives your car endurance to do more pulls and not be affected by heat soak. If you're going to go for stage 2 even more so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr2U

Passed Driver's Ed
i would stay stage 1, i did APR also and am happy.
R8 coils , you bet
i did not do mounts due to vibration
i did go 1 size larger tires, and a new bigger rear sway bar.
pulled the rear seats and spare for weight, car is very fast,
stays flat around corners now.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
You don't need to worry about an upgraded intercooler with Stg1 power really. It's nothing to win races with but just to give the car a bit more grunt. From my experience, the intercooler is mostly worthy at K04 levels where you can actually keep up with your average performance cars and require the intercooler to prevent heatsoak.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
i would stay stage 1, i did APR also and am happy.
R8 coils , you bet
i did not do mounts due to vibration
i did go 1 size larger tires, and a new bigger rear sway bar.
pulled the rear seats and spare for weight, car is very fast,
stays flat around corners now.

Yeah stay with Stg1. Anything higher and it becomes a money pit, lol. I was Stg1 for over a year with zero real hardware upgrades. No intake or exhausts. Just did the coil pack for fun. Had zero issues with Stg1.

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
Do TOP or commonly known as discharge pipe. Did mine yesterday running a custom stage 1+ tune from stratified and wow does it make a difference! Also look into DV relocate kit. After I did mine I noticed boost hitting a little earlier, maybe 3-600 rpm. Then I’d say look into other brand Intercooler a besides APR. For the cost of an APR Intercooler you can get CTS Intercooler and DP or any other brand. Just my 2 cents, but enjoy modding your car, the difference between stock and stage 1 was crazy and so much more fun!

Eowyn89

Hey guys,

2013 DSG Autobahn 52k miles checking in.

I’m going APR stage 1 with the intake next week and I’m also getting my shop to install a DV+ diverter valve, upgraded pcv valve, r8 coils, iridium spark plugs, and HPS Hawk break pads.

I’m extremely excited for the upgrades and my question is what else should I look to do? My car is a DD and the whole point of the upgrade is just to get some more power and to run more efficiently. I already upgraded my tires with Michelin Super Sports AS3+ and they only have about 4K miles on them. I want to make sure I’m not missing anything else with the tune upgrade.

Future upgrades include suspension (coils most likely) and exhaust. I’ve looked at the magma flow exhaust and really like the sound but if I were to go stage 2 with a down pipe is the magna flow necessary other than just for sound?

I’m completely new to modding but I’ve done a good deal of research so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

This may be the boring answer, but I wouldn't do anything for a little while. Just enjoy what you've done, learn how the car performs differently, and then focus on the "weak spots" that you want to improve. I've done all my upgrades in stages, and it's been very helpful for me to get used to each mod before I move on to the next. A quick "mod" would be to upgrade your brake fluid if you do autocross or track. I also run Hawk HPS (and love 'em) with ATE Typ 200 (DOT 4) brake fluid. Finally, you may find the increase in power causes some wheel slippage under hard acceleration so a LSD might be worth considering down the line. Best of luck and enjoy your mods!

~Steve

furykicker

furykicker

Do TOP or commonly known as discharge pipe. Did mine yesterday running a custom stage 1+ tune from stratified and wow does it make a difference! Also look into DV relocate kit. After I did mine I noticed boost hitting a little earlier, maybe 3-600 rpm. Then I’d say look into other brand Intercooler a besides APR. For the cost of an APR Intercooler you can get CTS Intercooler and DP or any other brand. Just my 2 cents, but enjoy modding your car, the difference between stock and stage 1 was crazy and so much more fun!

Discharge pipe? I'm not familiar...is it the same as a down pipe? Which one did you end up purchasing?

DV relocate kit, how does that work?

Thanks for your reply!

fradooooo

Passed Driver's Ed
Discharge pipe? I'm not familiar...is it the same as a down pipe? Which one did you end up purchasing?

DV relocate kit, how does that work?

Thanks for your reply!

Discharge pipe is the pipe that’s on the outlet side of the turbo connecting to the Intercooler. You replace the “pancake” pipe that comes stock and is very restrictive. Resulting is smoother unrestricted airflow out of the turbo.

The Diverter Valve relocate kit is made by Unitronic. It removes the DV from the actual turbo and places it right before the throttle body which in turn prolongs the life of the DV and better boost levels and throttle response.

Both of those mods are simple and with some basic knowledge and tools you can do them in your driveway. Do some research here on the forums and you’ll find out a lot of info regarding specific parts.

Hope this helps!