GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat17: Boosted Learns How To Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
My *guess* would be 0 toe, or maybe a little toe OUT since FWD and better chance the wheels will want to "pull" forward under power while turning? (Is toe deflection common with the Mk6 under power?)

How much rear toe?

-3 is a lot of camber up front, gonna tear up tires outside of the track. Tho if you have soft springs, you'll get a bit of roll, so you might use up that -3. Do you have camber plates? Are you sure you can get -3?

I don't drive it all that much on the street, maybe -2.5 in front? -2.2 or so in rear?

Honestly it's uncharted territory. Not a lot of gti's that track, the ones that do are setup to be street cars mostly so I don't know where to look for advice. The springs are on the stiff end, 300lb front and 275 rear.

I do have camber plates. 0 toe in rear too

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Yeah I'd start more around 2.2 to 2.5 and go from there. Since there isn't much to go off of, you might need to experiment a bit, watch your tire wear, and realign after an event or three.

300 is stiff but it's not that bad. Tall car like the Mk6 and some sticky tires, you'll probably still get a bit of lean and use up some of the camber.

IMO toe is going to have the bigger impact on feel than camber. 0 toe, or toe out, will feel very darty. 0 toe up front if you don't get a lot of toe change under power is probably fine - it'll make the car turn in. I'd go with a small amount of toe-in in the rear (maybe 1/16"?) as that'll help keep the rear planted more. If it's still understeery I'd try a swaybar change before changing toe.

My only real experience with a Mk6 being driven in anger is my wife's box-stock car and I was surprised how tail happy it was... YMMV.

IMO it'd be better to start off with a little understeer and try to dial it out, than get into it and have it be a tailhappy mess.

jay745

Yeah I'd start more around 2.2 to 2.5 and go from there. Since there isn't much to go off of, you might need to experiment a bit, watch your tire wear, and realign after an event or three.

300 is stiff but it's not that bad. Tall car like the Mk6 and some sticky tires, you'll probably still get a bit of lean and use up some of the camber.

IMO toe is going to have the bigger impact on feel than camber. 0 toe, or toe out, will feel very darty. 0 toe up front if you don't get a lot of toe change under power is probably fine - it'll make the car turn in. I'd go with a small amount of toe-in in the rear (maybe 1/16"?) as that'll help keep the rear planted more. If it's still understeery I'd try a swaybar change before changing toe.

My only real experience with a Mk6 being driven in anger is my wife's box-stock car and I was surprised how tail happy it was... YMMV.

IMO it'd be better to start off with a little understeer and try to dial it out, than get into it and have it be a tailhappy mess.

Word I'll likely end up re aligning after a few events. Wouldn't a small amount of toe IN rear make the turn in a bit sharper instead of more planted?

If you're going to be at laps on oct 8 would you take my car for a few laps? It's much much different than a stock gti, doesn't feel like the same car at all. I drove a stock gti a few weeks back and honestly forgot how shitty they handle.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Word I'll likely end up re aligning after a few events. Wouldn't a small amount of toe IN rear make the turn in a bit sharper instead of more planted?

If you're going to be at laps on oct 8 would you take my car for a few laps? It's much much different than a stock gti, doesn't feel like the same car at all. I drove a stock gti a few weeks back and honestly forgot how shitty they handle.

Toe OUT in the rear will make the car tail happy.

I'm leery to drive anyone's car... just because I don't want the liability in case shit happens. But we can talk when we're there. :) My tracking experience with FWD is pretty limited so it could be a fun learning experience... or terrifying.

At any rate I'm planning to be there on the 8th. I may or may not drive... but I'll be there and I'll have my helmet with me. Worst case I can ride right seat, I don't need to be in the left seat to get a sense of the car's balance.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
@UGLYBASTARD

That moment when your squad mate goes AWOL and stops responding to voice chat

Also...

not sure i couldve timed this screenshot any better than this.

yeah im pissed my connection shit out. i came back and had my mic on but not team voice chat

fail.gif

still took 3rd yeah

Phur

Autocross Champion
I was thinking about you guys in Trader Joe’s today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

Toe OUT in the rear will make the car tail happy.

I'm leery to drive anyone's car... just because I don't want the liability in case shit happens. But we can talk when we're there. :) My tracking experience with FWD is pretty limited so it could be a fun learning experience... or terrifying.

At any rate I'm planning to be there on the 8th. I may or may not drive... but I'll be there and I'll have my helmet with me. Worst case I can ride right seat, I don't need to be in the left seat to get a sense of the car's balance.

ah right I'm getting myself confused. I don't think I have a big understeer problem really. Like you said it's just going to be trial and error.

Yeah I hear you on driving other peoples cars. Offers there, I want someone smarter than me to drive it eventually and tell me what's up. Right seat would be cool though, I will dial it back with a passenger

Phur

Autocross Champion
Details on the process you used?

I went to Walmart and got a sanding block, 1500 grit, 2000 grit and 3000 grit wet sandpaper. (The 3000 is slightly padded) I have CG V36 and V38 polish. The V36 says that it will take out 2000 grit scratches. There are still a few stray scratches though. I ran out of daylight. It drove me nuts to be out in it today because there are holograms on that side because I wasn’t finished. It evidently wasn’t too bad, my wife didn’t say anything.

I watched this video quite a while ago... I feel like Larry knows his shit.
https://youtu.be/4a_CtBCQfIs

Then I watched this one and said, “Fuck! [emoji15]If they can hit it that hard, I’m fine.”
https://youtu.be/Dw0IewFVyWs

I followed the technique in the Ammo NYC video. It just needs some more refining. The pores of the polishing pad may be clogged. I’m going to clean it out before I hit it again.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I was thinking about you guys in Trader Joe’s today...

Nice, id love to hear your review tbh :thumbsup:
ah right I'm getting myself confused. I don't think I have a big understeer problem really. Like you said it's just going to be trial and error.

Yeah I hear you on driving other peoples cars. Offers there, I want someone smarter than me to drive it eventually and tell me what's up. Right seat would be cool though, I will dial it back with a passenger
start at a very neutral alignment setting...relearn how to drive you car...its been awhile since you been in the hot seat. shit you probably even need to learn how to redrive your car on the street.

That new track orientated suspension gonna be the tits iirc

tldr:
Driver mod before modding camber settings tbh

Phur

Autocross Champion
I just made up my mind last night that I was going to get my shit together and start working out again, hardcore. My plan was to start out cutting. Started working out a menu last night, went to get groceries for my son today and, "Goddamnit! I can't not! That sounds awesome!" We still have some homemade french toast in the freezer made with homemade bread too...
Whatever, I am usually really good at that shit. It will just be a cheat.

p.s. Not giving up my lattes, because fuck that!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie

Remember too much camber up front = less grip accelerating

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I just made up my mind last night that I was going to get my shit together and start working out again, hardcore. My plan was to start out cutting. Started working out a menu last night, went to get groceries for my son today and, "Goddamnit! I can't not! That sounds awesome!" We still have some homemade french toast in the freezer made with homemade bread too...
Whatever, I am usually really good at that shit. It will just be a cheat.

p.s. Not giving up my lattes, because fuck that!

says hes gonna start working out hardcore again...

posts huge bottle of syrup .

MAKE UP YOUR MIND PHUR.

Im glad i dont like baked goods or breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.