GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Bumper Sticks Out

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My Front Bumper Pops out. This happened after i took my car in for an insurance claim (right tire hit curb going ~10mph) got new Intercooler and radiator support and bumper.

However new bumper sits weird. At the headlight it doesn't sit flush pops out to the side about 1/8 inch on each side. I think the bumper clips may have been damaged and not replaced. Also hood and grill look like they sit slightly crooked but i could just be crazy.

How can I fix this? The shop that did the repair says it wasn't like that when it left the shop nobody can prove it though. At this point i'd rather do it myself and ensure it gets done right.

I see I may need parts:
5K0807723A
5K0807724A

and hopefully not a new bumper maybe just some pieces of it. Diagram here:
https://www.myvwpart.com/a/Volkswag.../FRONT-BUMPER-BUMPER--COMPONENTS/9281005.html

Need to take the bumper off and see what's broken or misaligned. Anything I should do while bumper is off or any tips on what to look for?

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
it's most likely the guides that sit under the headlights that the bumper cover clips into by the fender. It's made of cheap plastic, if you've had your bumper off a few times they get worn out and break.

Ty! I'll give those a look. Would you happen to know difference on the guide parts?

For example:
GUIDE. Support.
Front Left. Guide. Left. 5K0807227A

GUIDE. Side support.
Front Left. Left. Side support. 5K0807261

2 different parts for Right side.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
You're more likely to break the tabs that are on the bumper than the guides that sit under the headlights, at least in my experience. I've taken my bumper off several times and the guides are pretty good, but some of my tabs are busted.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Ty! I'll give those a look. Would you happen to know difference on the guide parts?

For example:
GUIDE. Support.
Front Left. Guide. Left. 5K0807227A

GUIDE. Side support.
Front Left. Left. Side support. 5K0807261

2 different parts for Right side.

I think it'd be 5K0807571J, and 5K0807572J for the right side.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
You're more likely to break the tabs that are on the bumper than the guides that sit under the headlights, at least in my experience. I've taken my bumper off several times and the guides are pretty good, but some of my tabs are busted.
So if its tabs on bumper I'm looking at new bumper?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Opposite for me. I've had my bumper off probably 15 times or so, the bumper tabs are still fine but my guides are broken.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ever get this worked out? I've gone through this a few times. As stated above, there are tabs under the headlight that the bumper clips into. I have never broken them and they seem pretty sturdy but often when installing the bumper the tabs on the bumper want to go under the tabs under the headlight as opposed to over them. If the bumper tabs go under the headlight tabs then the bumper from the headlights back will not sit flush. Whenever I remove my bumper I have to take a tiny screwdriver and pull down the headlight tab just a hair to get the bumper tab to slide in on top of it (you'll see what I mean if you do it). Then everything will sit flush.

Take a flashlight and look for the tabs under the headlights with the bumper on. You'll be able to see the bumper stick out ever so slightly where the tab is if they are not installed correctly If you can look in the crack between the headlight and bumper and see the tab then likely the bumper tabs are sitting below the headlight tab which basically means the bumper is not clipped in at that spot.

Last edited:

bebersol

Ready to race!
Opposite for me. I've had my bumper off probably 15 times or so, the bumper tabs are still fine but my guides are broken.

Jay, what is the plastic material the bumper is made from, TPO? I have to repair a deepish scratch and I want the correct material to bond to it.

thanks.