GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I took my GTI to the dealer because it was leaking oil

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to attempt to use this. Anyone use something like this before?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I'm going to attempt to use this. Anyone use something like this before?

no no no not going to work. Thats meant to swell up like rubber orings and stuff and Its still kind of gimmicky despite what you might read online. If the cam cover is leaking its from the RTV like seal which that wont do anything to. If the upper timing cover is leaking its a thick rubber gasket that that probably wont do anything too.

Coogie

Ready to race!
Ouch, that’s an expensive quote. Sounds like you need a friend with some serious mechanic skills who has all the tools in the world. Then all you have to do is buy him a beer afterwards!

I wish you good luck!

Mudig

Passed Driver's Ed
DON'T do this! I wouldn't use that in a $500 beater. It will likely cause more problems. Rebuild in a can does not exist.

Would you recommend I change the PCV valve after getting the rear main seal replaced? I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with the PCV I haven't noticed any symptoms.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Would you recommend I change the PCV valve after getting the rear main seal replaced? I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with the PCV I haven't noticed any symptoms.

Yes, it's cheap assurance & it's easy to replace too while not being terribly expensive.
You wouldn't want it to go out on you & blow the RMS and then be looking back saying "I wish I spent the $100 on a new PCV" instead of spending $500+ to have the RMS replaced again because it went out on you
Preventative maintenance is key to keeping these motors running good for you

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

Oh yes, not doing so may have you kicking yourself in the arse. My guess is that your current PCV is likely the cause of your RMS leak. Check youtube for how to videos. It's an easy DIY fix.