GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

225/45 R18 on stock mk6. Taller sidewall question

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I LOVE THESE FORUMS! YOU GUYS ROCK! I actually knew that proportion equation and I didn't even put it together. Duh...

So that leads to my next question... Has anyone put a 235/40 on 18" rims and had any issues with rubbing or turning inside the wheel wells? Sorry for all the questions but I don't get to return these once I purchase them so I'm trying to avoid any issues upfront. Thanks again!

Lots of people have used 235/40/18 with no rubbing issue. If you are stock height, there will be no issues. If you are lowered conservatively, you SHOULD be ok as well.

pablo2019

So the plot thickens... I spoke to TireRack and the rims I want have a 45mm offset and my stock rims have a 51mm offset, so the wheels will now not only be slightly taller in the wheel well but they will also be pushed out further by 6mm (approx. 1/4"). They said their notes show that this wheel/tire combo could result in tire scrubbing against the inside wheel arches under load/compression. GOOD LORD THIS IS FRUSTRATING... Anyone have experience with a 51mm offset wheel running 235/40 R18s on a gti?

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
51mm offset is stock, and will have no issues. 45mm offset should be ok if you are on stock height. Tirerack will always advise against it even if there is a slight chance of rubbing due to liability. It's like spacers. It is very unlikely your wheel will fall off if you run spacers. However, any reputable tire shop will not install your wheels with spacers because they don't want to be liable if by chance you get into an accident caused by the spacers.

But I think you should be ok. Even if you do have slight rubbing, it wouldn't be so bad that you couldn't live with it. If you want to be safe, go with the OEM wheel or maybe something with a 48mm offset.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion
I LOVE THESE FORUMS! YOU GUYS ROCK! I actually knew that proportion equation and I didn't even put it together. Duh...

So that leads to my next question... Has anyone put a 235/40 on 18" rims and had any issues with rubbing or turning inside the wheel wells? Sorry for all the questions but I don't get to return these once I purchase them so I'm trying to avoid any issues upfront. Thanks again!

I run 235/40 on 18" and it's perfect.

pablo2019

I run 235/40 on 18" and it's perfect.

Thanks! Do your rims have the stock 51mm offset? My new rims would be 45mm offset so they would stick out 11mm more than stock. Concerned they'll rub the fender possibly. My car is in the shop so I can't measure the fender clearance on stock wheels to know how much room I have to play with.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Can someone post a pic with the 235/40 on stock 18 inch wheels? I would like to see if the look is significantly different.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
So the plot thickens... I spoke to TireRack and the rims I want have a 45mm offset and my stock rims have a 51mm offset, so the wheels will now not only be slightly taller in the wheel well but they will also be pushed out further by 6mm (approx. 1/4"). They said their notes show that this wheel/tire combo could result in tire scrubbing against the inside wheel arches under load/compression. GOOD LORD THIS IS FRUSTRATING... Anyone have experience with a 51mm offset wheel running 235/40 R18s on a gti?

The wheels I run are a 45mm offset. No clearance issues at all. My 2 cents worth is to get a set of 17" wheels rather than put larger tires on your current 18" ones.