GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Packages are rolling in left and right. Officially have everything ordered. Now just playing the waiting game.

All the correct AN fittings came in as well as the brake rebuild components

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jay745

Just rebuilt the calipers last night. One of the abutment plate screws stripped on me. Only way to get it out is to split the calipers which I don't want to do. So I'm going to run 7 new plates and keep the one old one in. All new pistons, seals, dust boots, bleeders and stainless lines

I know they are never seen but I got a little ocd that they sent me different color dust boots for the 34mm pistons and the 38mm pistons [emoji23]

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Just rebuilt the calipers last night. One of the abutment plate screws stripped on me. Only way to get it out is to split the calipers which I don't want to do. So I'm going to run 7 new plates and keep the one old one in. All new pistons, seals, dust boots, bleeders and stainless lines

I know they are never seen but I got a little ocd that they sent me different color dust boots for the 34mm pistons and the 38mm pistons [emoji23]

Nice! Looks weird with different colors for sure. Lol! How was the rebuild process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay745

Nice! Looks weird with different colors for sure. Lol! How was the rebuild process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly fine, the screws holding the abutment plates were a pain. Had to use a torx bit driver and a small wrench, while pushing hard against the bit to prevent it from stripping. It's so tight in there I wasnt able to get a normal torx socket on there. My hands hurt today lol

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Mostly fine, the screws holding the abutment plates were a pain. Had to use a torx bit driver and a small wrench, while pushing hard against the bit to prevent it from stripping. It's so tight in there I wasnt able to get a normal torx socket on there. My hands hurt today lol
FYI this is the tool you need for this situation. It is typically called a bit wrench.

jay745

Locked myself in the garage for a few hours last night. Ended up getting pretty frustrated.
Connected both calipers and lines, torqued everything then hit a wall when I went to put the pads in. They wouldn't go in at all.

WTF.

After looking at it, the abutment plates have one side that has a groove in it and the other is flat, likely to help with pad knock back or something. I had them all oriented correctly but the groove prevents the pad from going in. Scratching my head and getting frustrated I took the calipers back off the car to take a look. Ended up pulling the abutment plates off. Due to a shipping error, I had a spare set of plates. Looked at those, they come with 2 grooved and 2 flat just like the others. I just don't see how you'd get past the groove to get the pads in. I threw all of the flat ones in there for now. Hoping I don't get nasty side effects from that, I'll be contacting stoptech for more info. Gonna have to clean up the rotors a bit, they have some surface rust on them but are practically brand new.

After taking a detour on the front brakes and getting those torn apart, put back together and then back on the car, I moved to the rears. A few weeks ago I put on the xp10 rear pads on one side and left the other side (thinking I could flip the car the other way in the garage and give myself some more room). Well yeah, now I can't find the other side pads.

Another WTF.

No idea where they would have gone. The garage is pretty tidy and organized. They are nowhere to be found. This sucks.

Getting the wheels back from Wellis Wheels with the tires mounted and balanced today.

jay745

Found the other side pads........on my car already..........I can't for the life of me remember putting them on. Big fail moment.

Went for a drive yesterday but it started pouring right away. Didn't really get a chance to drive it the way I wanted. Everything feels good though, no clunks or abnormal noises. Gotta find a place to bed the brakes today.

No more melting off wheel weights at the track lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk