GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's 13' Wolfsburg Track Car Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Lifestyle of the race car drivers. They’re always broken, they’re always broookennn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True story

zef

Drag Racing Champion
might as well go big turbo while you're in there lol

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
might as well go big turbo while you're in there lol

lol I've actually been considering changing turbos and just de tuning it. The k04's run hot, I don't really want to add a lot more power because I don't want to build an engine and I don't think it's really needed. I do want a turbo that runs cooler though.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
lol I've actually been considering changing turbos and just de tuning it. The k04's run hot, I don't really want to add a lot more power because I don't want to build an engine and I don't think it's really needed. I do want a turbo that runs cooler though.

i wouldnt mind a k04 for a decent bro price :iono:

zef

Drag Racing Champion

I'll have to keep an eye on mine...hoping all the cooling mods I've done helps

jay745

i wouldnt mind a k04 for a decent bro price :iono:
Didn't I just link you to a pretty newish k04 for like $600 and you said no? lol wut? stop trolling my thread.

I'll have to keep an eye on mine...hoping all the cooling mods I've done helps
I hope with the addition of the oil cooler I won't see that problem but I'm a bit skeptical still.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Didn't I just link you to a pretty newish k04 for like $600 and you said no? lol wut? stop trolling my thread.

I hope with the addition of the oil cooler I won't see that problem but I'm a bit skeptical still.

I had an external oil cooler on a turbo ac vw and it kept temps around 180-190. I also had a adjustable thermostat on it that would kick on a dedicated electric fan. I have one in the garage for the gti but havent made it that far yet, is the only way to plumb it with filter adapter?
I would think sandwich it between rad and front clip so fans can draw air through it vs depending on moving air current? Anyone have data on this setup without using a fan?

jay745

I've been looking into adding an electric fan and making some ducting to direct the air better. It'll be a slow process for me.

Put it in the air last night to give it a once over and put some torque marks on all the bolts to be able to monitor them easier. Did an oil change and swapped out the belly pan for a tdi belly pan that covers the whole oil pan etc. Got that for free on a trade with my buddy riceburner :thumbup:

Added some zip ties to get the charge pipe a little more out of the way from the fan.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Boosted doesn't troll - he testified this much before all of chichat17

jay745

Welp, I didn't really have any time to shake the car down after rebuilding all the brakes and suspension but finished everything literally the night before I was leaving for tail of the dragon. The car did great, put about 750 miles hooning the roads around that area, what an incredible experience. The roads are so so incredible there. Had a run in with the airbnb I was staying at. Steep ass driveway with all kinds of rough terrain, got stuck and lost half my side under tray. Had to cut it off.

The day I was leaving after stopping for breakfast I got a warning to check coolant. The resevoir was empty with a little bit in the bottom. First thought it was the water pump and I was going to be screwed and stuck in NC 600 miles away from home. Put some water in it, didnt drain out which I thought would happen if the water pump gave out. Decided to drive a few miles and monitor it, nothing. Drove all the way back to Chicago just fine without losing a drop. No clue what happened, haven't been able to dig into it since returning. Weird though.