GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build thread with GTXGen2 Content

JerryTX

Hi guys,

I am a long-time gearhead and it's time to document a little of this build, at least just because it's a little different. I bought a wrecked 2012 GTI with 90K miles in anticipation of my daughter driving it in a little over 18 months. I race and instruct and have been down this path already. The goal is to teach her to drive well and some of that will mean HPDE/track time.
Back to tech: the car had front end damage but no frame work was needed. I work with a great group of guys in Fort Worth at a shop for my other car stuff so they got to do the heavy lifting. Car is a 2 door, 6spd manual, no sunroof car. Before pic is below.

Since it needed a new intercooler anyway, I went with ATP front mount. Since the front end was blown apart the list of "while we are in there" grew to:

New OEM clutch, RMS, upgraded valve springs, walnut blasted head, new injectors, new water pump, and all new timing system components.

Interestingly the car was on a replaced crappy timing chain tensioner, but the original chain. The chain had plenty of stretch and needed to be replaced, so a new tensioner and guides went in as well.

I just got the car on the road, licensed/insured and made sure it’s dead reliable. As soon as I drove it I realized the front wheel bearings were shot, and the horn was pathetic, so those got replaced. Now that it’s bone stock and dead reliable, it's time to address the painfully slow portion! I want more power because I will drive it for the next bunch of months. I want it super predictable for my daughter and not over the top so it will stay open diff and relatively stock (and quiet). I am downgrading from 18” Detroit wheels to 17” Dallas wheels and going to a 245mm width tire for traction and no bent wheels.

The clutch is getting replaced now with the TT-RS pressure plate and TDI disk. I’m having Frank Mabo tune it with EuroDyne. And of course, the turbo: Garret GTX 2860R Gen II turbo. I ordered this to bolt up to the stock airbox and downpipe/exhaust. So if you are following this the net of the upgrades will be:

New Chrysler truck horn <- very important
H&R Springs
TTRS Pressure Plate/TDI Disk
GTX2860R G2 Turbo
Upgraded Valvesprings
ATP Front Mount Intercooler
Eurodyne custom tune.
17” Dallas wheels and 245mm width tires.

The car will need better brakes on track (it will only every go out on track pads and Motul brake fluid). I will be getting two tunes for the car: One to put it at about 230whp, and a max effort 93 octane tune for me. I don’t expect (due to the downpipe or airbox) that the car will ever make more than 300whp, which would be about perfect IMO. It will always be traction limited. If my daughter decides she really likes the track time we can invest in more as needed but this should be a great start. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to upgrade to a 3 bar MAP sensor for the tuning. Let me know your thoughts and impressions! Hope you enjoy. Pics of the turbo and the IC coming up as well..

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I don't understand putting a gtx gen2 for under 300hp?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yea for 300 a k04 would be the perfect turbo. Although this could save you some money down the road if you want to expand

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edit: Also before the thread gets going too much, there is a dedicated section to build threads called member car journals so you may want to move it there

Last edited:

JerryTX

Yea for 300 a k04 would be the perfect turbo. Although this could save you some money down the road if you want to expand

Edit: Also before the thread gets going too much, there is a dedicated section to build threads called member car journals so you may want to move it there

Thanks for the suggestion on the build thread, I'll move it, sorry!

As far as turbo selection: it's definitely overbuilt there but underbuilt in other areas. All the K04's I've seen have alternative fueling, CAI, and exhaust to get big numbers. I won't be adding any of that. I wanted to make sure to hit 300ish and got a good deal on the turbo so went right to the GTX. The other thinking was it would be more topend and less low end power because open diff. Final thought there was if she gets into this and becomes a speed queen so be it, uncork it and but big brakes and an LSD in it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I moved the thread.

Nice build so far. And de-tuning a big turbo is pretty smart for a track car. K04's run REALLY hot on a track. This would put the same power down (you don't really need much more and can get away without building the engine) and manage heat MUCH better. I have been considering getting a big turbo and selling my k04 for the same reasons. I don't really need any more power but the heat from the k04 is killer.

JerryTX

I moved the thread.

Nice build so far. And de-tuning a big turbo is pretty smart for a track car. K04's run REALLY hot on a track. This would put the same power down (you don't really need much more and can get away without building the engine) and manage heat MUCH better. I have been considering getting a big turbo and selling my k04 for the same reasons. I don't really need any more power but the heat from the k04 is killer.

Thanks for moving it and thank you for the feedback! I am hoping to do exactly as you stated: avoid the heat and avoid building the engine. I saw a picture on the MK7 forum comparing their IS38 to a K04 and the difference was huge, that kinda sold me on it. I've also pushed twin K04-like turbo's pretty hard on an F150 3.5L ecoboost and know there isn't much more left after 500rwhp on pump gas on 93 octane.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm curious to see what the stock airbox and exhaust can handle. Most people (including myself) upgrade those before a tune, let alone a turbo. Everyone just says they have to be done but I don't know of anyone that's tested it. Can't wait to see the results and if they aren't sufficient hopefully you get some warning before damage occurs.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Downpipes are cheap and not that difficult to change out. Stock downpipe will be a choke point. I would put a 3inch on there for your 18 months of fun and go for a little more aggressive tune. You can always swap back when you are done with it. No matter what you decide, I would put in an upgraded clutch rather than oem if this is going to be a track car for a while. Anyway looks like you have a plan, just thoughts based upon my past experiences.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Downpipes are cheap and not that difficult to change out. Stock downpipe will be a choke point. I would put a 3inch on there for your 18 months of fun and go for a little more aggressive tune. You can always swap back when you are done with it. No matter what you decide, I would put in an upgraded clutch rather than oem if this is going to be a track car for a while. Anyway looks like you have a plan, just thoughts based upon my past experiences.
Yea the oem clutch will slip in a tune so big turbo will roast it, and probably fast. Could probably get away with the rsr clutch kit which is oem-ish

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Great build man! I have the same car just a year older..wish I had went big turbo!
I'm in the DFW as well, there are a few of us on here

JerryTX

go with cobb accessport for easier map switching.

I already bought the Eurodyne setup months ago so I can't undo that unfortunately. I think the switching will happen rarely anyway so it shouldn't be too big of an inconvenience.

Definitely may go this route. Puta 3" with a 200cell high flow cat, done it to plenty of cars and you are right, it's not that hard to do. I'm curious what the stock downpipe does though. Clutch: I'm getting the TTRS clutch installed now. Went with that because I'm hoping (and from what I've read) my daughter should be able to learn stick on it and not experience chatter. I don't want her to hate this car afterall ;)

Great build man! I have the same car just a year older..wish I had went big turbo!
I'm in the DFW as well, there are a few of us on here

Thanks man, I'll bring it out to some events once it's done for sure!

flight1us

Ready to race!
bump... nice build thread

JerryTX

Couple more comparison pics while we wait for a couple of small parts from ATP to make it all work.

Interestingly the car will gain about 9lbs as the turbo and manifold is larger and is modular versus cast as one piece.

First base Eurodyne tune is in hand, took less than 24 hours for turnaround from Frank Mabo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro