GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Franco516 build

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Big update:

'Haus of dub' clutch has now been replaced with a BFI stage3 (competition clutch). Very happy this clutch lasted this long. Got it back in 2015 when my OEM clutch started slipping from stage2. It held for over 50k miles on stage2, k04 and some BT power. Iabed RMS also went in at the same time.

Car's still at the shop getting timing done. Apparently while they were doing my clutch they noticed my DP to Turbo bolts were all loose, basically leaving a big gap, that would explain my p2196/p2096 CELS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
What clutch did you go with? I'm trying to decide between South Bend, DKM and BFI.

torga

Autocross Champion
BFI stage3
Any reasons why?

DKM and BFI are both partnered with Competition Clutch, so I'm having trouble figuring out which to pick. South Bend is in the running too just because people have good opinions of it, but it's so expensive! And it doesn't even come with the aluminum TOB.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Any reasons why?

DKM and BFI are both partnered with Competition Clutch, so I'm having trouble figuring out which to pick. South Bend is in the running too just because people have good opinions of it, but it's so expensive! And it doesn't even come with the aluminum TOB.

I considered the DKM but didnt wanna chance it since im BT, im sure they are good clutches. I wanted a SB stage3 but that was like 500$ more and budget is tight. BFI was rated for what my goals are and price was in the middle so thats what i chose. All clutches come with the shitty 2pce plastic TOB. I got the alum one as well.

torga

Autocross Champion
I considered the DKM but didnt wanna chance it since im BT, im sure they are good clutches. I wanted a SB stage3 but that was like 500$ more and budget is tight. BFI was rated for what my goals are and price was in the middle so thats what i chose. All clutches come with the shitty 2pce plastic TOB. I got the alum one as well.
If you order from BFI's website, you have the option to add on the aluminum TOB for like $50 more. As far as I know, they're the only ones who do that.
But yeah, SB Stage 2 is $1200 and I'd had to spend another $100 on the TOB, versus ~$950 for it all from BFI.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
If you order from BFI's website, you have the option to add on the aluminum TOB for like $50 more. As far as I know, they're the only ones who do that.
But yeah, SB Stage 2 is $1200 and I'd had to spend another $100 on the TOB, versus ~$950 for it all from BFI.

Word. a clutch is a clutch, aslong as you break it in properly and dont treat is like shit, itll last you. I bet you the ppl who bitch about certain companies and make bad reviews about clutches dont really know how to drive stick.

If you plan on stage 2 and even going k04 the DKM will be totally fine since its rated for 400+ tq.

torga

Autocross Champion
A K04 will come once the K03 gives out, but I've got no plans for BT - I'm not going full send with this car. Thanks, man.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
More updates...

Cam bridge mesh screen was lost then found. Need a new cam bridge bracket [emoji854][emoji379]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
IMO pull the rest of the mesh off and just run the cam bridge without the mesh. No sense putting a new one on that will have the same problem. Next time it blows out it could get lodged in an oil passage and cause starvation.

Good work finding the mesh though, lucky it hadn't fallen into the oil pan!

then the oil going into the VVT wouldnt be filtered risking the cam sprockets.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
then the oil going into the VVT wouldnt be filtered risking the cam sprockets.
True. My thought is this: If oil pressure can already blow the screen out then what will happen if the screen actually catches debris? More pressure on the screen and it will certainly blow out and let the debris pass anyway.

Mostly I refuse to pay $200+ for a part that hasn't been revised and will fail again.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
True. My thought is this: If oil pressure can already blow the screen out then what will happen if the screen actually catches debris? More pressure on the screen and it will certainly blow out and let the debris pass anyway.

Mostly I refuse to pay $200+ for a part that hasn't been revised and will fail again.

V true. Actually i did find some articles online stating that replacing the screen is not necessary. The shop had already installed the new cambridge by that time so i was too late to call it off. ):

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
100 miles into the clutch. feels great. super easy to get used to but.... the "chatter" or whatever u call it is pretty loud. at Idle the car is quiet but on deceleration its pretty annoying... maybe the fluidampr should help?

also, no CELs have come on since i did the timing.. so thats a good thing. Cant wait to be able to hit boost.

torga

Autocross Champion
I love my Fluidampr. I can't comment on it quieting don clutch chatter, but I have stiffer engine/trans mounts and a Dogbone mount, so the car would vibrate a lot when decelerating in gear. The Fluidampr totally fixed that.
Also, when revving high, sometimes I have to look at the tach to make sure I'm not going too high because the engine is amazingly smooth at the top end now. Way more vibrations at the top end when I had the stock pulley.