GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Was my oil pan re-threaded? Drip after change

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
Aloha Golfmk6

Just did an oil change on my GTI and there's a slow drip from the plug. Used a new 19mm bolt with new crush washer

I've done recent changes without issue - prior to that was stealership changes.

Never looked at the pan this closely but it looks like some sort of jbweld/epoxy.

What do you think?

Any difference in torque for oiled threads on the drain plug?

Attachments

• 2019-10-10.jpg
    2019-10-10.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 229

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Was that picture taken before or after your oil change? The washer does not look like a crush washer to me. As for that stuff on the pan it looks fishy to me. Did the drain plug thread in OK or was it a sloppy loose fit?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Looks like rust to me, but ive had issues with these oil pans leaking with the rec torque spec and new bolts. I usually have to go a few ft lbs extra to get it to stop.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Was it an OEM crush washer?

They are donut shaped as oppose to every other crush washer I have used which is flat. Mine leaked with a standard crush washer but not with the OEM ones.

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure what you mean by donut shaped

But the bolt came with the washer already on it, purchased OEM from a dealer

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Like the one on the left but not that fat/tall.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Mine leaked because the oil drain hole is countersunk a little and the crush washer I got from the dealer had a blue gasket material inside of it that I could see once I tightened the plug down.

My magnetic drain plug came with a crush washer on it also and I removed it and put a OEM donut one on it and it has been leak free.

Did the oil drain hole have a countersink in it?

GTInSuch2

Passed Driver's Ed
No countersink that I could see

I'm going to get the torx drain plug and new crush washer & try again tomorrow

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Good luck.

I have seen both regular crush washers sold and the rounded ones sold as OEM but for my car the flat one leaked. The flat one I did use was not a VW crush washer but one from a Honda the same diameter (14mm I think). Maybe that played a role in my leak idk.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
This is what the dealer sold me. Three oil changes & no leaks. Yes the crush washer is replaced at each oil change. I hope the new plug & crush washer stop the drips for you.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I thought the new ones are the 19mm hex bolt with the washer pre attached like the OP. At least that's what I got from the dealer.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
My dealer gave me a 19mm hex bolt because I didn't want to use the torx but the crush washer was not attached and looked like Ash's.

The crush washer that came attached to my ECS magnetic drain bolt was just a flat standard aluminum crush washer. That went in the trash and I installed one that looks like Ash's pic.