GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What constitutes "Bulletproof"?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I would not expect 200k off a turbocharged car. You can't compare a GTi to a turbo diesel. Diesel motors in general are work horses and just run differently. Plus your driving habits on a GTi are going to be way more aggresive than driving something like a UPS truck or Jeep.

I hit 260k on my Ford Explorer. I would never expect that from the GTi. Typically if you are "bulletproofing" a car that means building the bottom end. Rods, pistons and a whole lot of money. Like PandaGTi I personally would look in to oil coolers and a larger radiator besides the bottom.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
This

Gonna want to install a catch can and run a water/meth system to keep oil deposits down. Build the head, and bottom. Rods, pistons, the whole 9 yards.

Get a big brake kit. The shitty stock brakes barely stop a stg2 car on stock turbo.

Might as well go stage 4 then.

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
built motor, and built trans. Regardless i doubt you'll ever get 200k out of a BT set up

Where do we go about getting a built tranny? I don't think anybody has parts for trans other than clutches.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I would not expect 200k off a turbocharged car. You can't compare a GTi to a turbo diesel. Diesel motors in general are work horses and just run differently. Plus your driving habits on a GTi are going to be way more aggresive than driving something like a UPS truck or Jeep.

my comparison to a turbo diesel is purely for the fact max said it would need a turbo within 200k...i wouldn't expect the gti to run for 200k knowing that people drive the piss out of them....if it were a normal dd not tuned or moded then i could see 200k being accomplished...but heavily tuning the car is going to kill motor life....

moding is like smoking, we all know its bad, expensive, and hurts your chances with some women...but its addiction ;)

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
my comparison to a turbo diesel is purely for the fact max said it would need a turbo within 200k...i wouldn't expect the gti to run for 200k knowing that people drive the piss out of them....if it were a normal dd not tuned or moded then i could see 200k being accomplished...but heavily tuning the car is going to kill motor life....

moding is like smoking, we all know its bad, expensive, and hurts your chances with some women...but its addiction ;)

See, this is my point - I've got just under 30k miles right now, when I had it in the dealership at 25k (I get oil changed every 5k no matter what) the tech who I know there from owning my 07 FH were talking about the majority of GTI's that come through - most are owned by 20 somethings & most are beat on within an inch of their life. He commented on how my car looks & drives like it's brand new. I attribute this mostly to NEVER over boosting or redlining as I go through the gears, I always allow several minutes of cool down after spirited driving (before shutting off the engine) - the roads here in Vegas that I regularly drive are very smooth & pothole free so my suspension is given an opportunity for long life as well - no snow = no salt to corrode parts & weekly car washes & (engine bay wipe downs ) ensure nothing is getting loose or excessively dirty.

My wife drives a 2005 dodge durango with 194k miles on it right now & it runs like a top - it's paid off & she is waiting for the R20 to arrive to make that her DD & retire the Durango to road trip duty (vacations & utility as well as first car for our now 14 yr old daughter)

So ... If the current logic is that because GTI's are most often beat on (every day they are driven) and that's why they never reach 200k miles then I feel pretty confident that I could break that stereotype. A few of you are probably asking why I'd want stage 3 then? And not just stay stock for the mileage ...

I'm an enthusiast just like all of you, knowing I could be on the highway & avoid being cut off (we get that A LOT here) simply by rolling on the throttle is worth the price of admission alone to me but only because that's the pet peeve I experience every single day on Vegas freeways. Track days of course is the other reason - fun, we have opportunities galore out here for that.

Beyond that, knowing a car is built but also reliable is important to me - I'd rather spend 10k BP'ing the engine knowing I'll only have to replace the turbo down the road rather than spending 5k & throwing a rod on the side of the road (I would think a failing turbo would give some warning signs) I'd hate to think such a big investment wouldn't/couldn't net me at LEAST 175k miles of enjoyment, it would be my first car that didn't make it to 175k.

For the record, when the drunk driver totaled my 07 Fahrenheit it had 84k miles on it, it was stock except for a BSH pendulum mount & K&N intake - I didn't mod that one because the FSI motor (cam followers) seemed too problematic, however my follower was stock at 84k miles & still good so I believe that to be a testament to how I drive & care for my vehicles.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

HAHAHAHAHA so true. Wait are you telling me women don't like it when you they can't have a conversation in your car over the drone of the exhaust!?

Her: "So I really really like cats do yo.."

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You: "sorry what was that?"

I am so glad my GF is the opposite. I thought my UR TBE was too loud she likes it. Wait maybe it's so she doesn't have to talk to me in the car....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
turbos are actually incredibly reliable for long life...look at every single turbo diesel motor...at work i drive a kw with over 450k miles on the same turbo it was built with and that truck runs perfect still making 550hp...we also have a 1980 peterbuilt with over a million miles on the same turbo:fighting0030:

oh and if you want to say that they have easier lives thats wrong as well diesels boost much higher numbers than gasoline motors...stock super duties boost around 40psi, and big trucks build even more:thumbsup:

Truck<<<<>>>>Car the trucks get a million miles on a regular basis and frequently in less than 10 years. There are a lot of factors as to why truck engines last much much much longer than car engines.

That said... If you look around there aren't many 200k+ mile turbo VW cars that still run on their original snail.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
Truck<<<<>>>>Car the trucks get a million miles on a regular basis and frequently in less than 10 years. There are a lot of factors as to why truck engines last much much much longer than car engines.

That said... If you look around there aren't many 200k+ mile turbo VW cars that still run on their original snail.

That's because there aren't many turbo vws with 200k period....they have only been around s little over ten years...diesel motors are harder on a turbo than gas motors....and again...i am only taking about the turbo, not the motor...the turbos that do go are generally from poor maintenance

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
By the way I do know they generally use higher quality turbos, mainly garret...not crappy ihi junk like we have, but the op is taking about stage 3 with a garret snail

Doesn't matter the stock 4 cylinder will be at like 160 hp/liter if not more. That's truly the killer here, the amount of stress being put through a tiny engine. The big trucks always have really conservative hp/displacement figures. That's how you get so much life out of them.

I have a crown vic with a 4.6 SOHC V8 and a whopping 200hp, currently at 290k miles and only having had the intake manifold replaced ($200 fleabay). The most reliable cars usually have high displacement low output. Or they are Japanese ... :laugh: