GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
THis.. ------^^^^^^^

i think we would need to include a detailed technical explanation of the issue, unknown causes and symptoms, etc and a an explanation of how vital this part is. should also include a disclaimer that no modifications play any roll in this part failing or failing even more prematurely than they already are. also, a financial analysis on how issuing a recall could save vwoa money in the long run. much cheaper to recall a part of this monetary value than an entire long block. a pr statement saying this will increase brand loyalty because it shows they stand behind their products and want their customers to be satisfied. lastly, maybe a paragraph regarding legal obligation or responsibility based on vwoa having issued a tsb with full knowledge if this vital part failing and taking no action for a remedy. if no legal obligation, maybe how it could be ruled they are responsible for not taking "reasonable" action on an issue they are fully aware of.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
TSB isn't a recall so warranty limits still apply. Sucks, I agree. At this point I would think it would escalate to a recall (not a minor issue, fragging an engine with little to no warning is kinda a big deal).

There is no way it will become a recall because it's not a safety related issue. These crap out upon starting the car.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
There is no way it will become a recall because it's not a safety related issue. These crap out upon starting the car.

Understand it won't become a "recall". I am just thinking about how customers could convince VWoA to replace all units that crap out like this.

fasteddy

Ready to race!
I don't know... You could certainly convince me that a sudden loss of power, etc could certainly be a safety hazard. If you frag an engine my simple understanding says you lose out on many safe driving components

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I don't know... You could certainly convince me that a sudden loss of power, etc could certainly be a safety hazard. If you frag an engine my simple understanding says you lose out on many safe driving components

The problem is, it isn't a "sudden loss of power"

Once running, the tensioner works properly. When you shut the car off and oil pressure drops though, the tensioner relies on a sort of ratcheting system to maintain tension. When this ratcheting system fails, the tensioner goes slack and the car jumps timing upon the subsequent startup.

fasteddy

Ready to race!
The problem is, it isn't a "sudden loss of power"

Once running, the tensioner works properly. When you shut the car off and oil pressure drops though, the tensioner relies on a sort of ratcheting system to maintain tension. When this ratcheting system fails, the tensioner goes slack and the car jumps timing upon the subsequent startup.

Well that's a bummer! Thanks for the explanation

Thumper

Autocross Champion

HHhmmmm

ok, how about this. You go to hang out with a friend that lives in a SHITTY ghetto slum. End up staying later than you thought, go out to your car and it's pitch black, streetlights are all busted. There's a multi-cultural gang of thugs on the corner who stare you down as you get in your car. Then move forward at you producing weapons. You go to start your car and it won't start, then it starts and the engine grenades.....you now get pulled out of your car and beat to death by these thuggish youts.

I dunno, sounds like a safety issue to me. :D

OcalaMKVI

I've spent most of the morning trying to research the TSB for the Timing chain with no results. My dealer has never heard of it and the 8 other Florida dealers I've contacted have never heard of it. I've directed their attention to the NHTSA web site,, they just say it is not an issue for VW as of this time. I called VW US customer relations and they say talk to your dealer. Is this really a major issue with the TSI engine? WTF, I have had great reliability so far through 47000 miles, not one issue now this has me worried!

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I've spent most of the morning trying to research the TSB for the Timing chain with no results. My dealer has never heard of it and the 8 other Florida dealers I've contacted have never heard of it. I've directed their attention to the NHTSA web site,, they just say it is not an issue for VW as of this time. I called VW US customer relations and they say talk to your dealer. Is this really a major issue with the TSI engine? WTF, I have had great reliability so far through 47000 miles, not one issue now this has me worried!

The TSI engine has many issues. This is only one. Like the other problems, some cars will have it, others won't. There is no way to diagnose the problem, if it breaks it does so without warning. Failure rate is pretty low right now, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
One thing ppl need to understand here...

TSB - DOESN'T EQUAL A FREE FIX.

Even if the TSB is out there no one will fix your car.

zrickety

The Fixer
I know of this tensioner, the intake manifold, and water pump failures. Is that it for popular problems on these?

LightningRhod

Go Kart Champion
Thread bump.

Yesterday, I went to go start my car to go to the gym. Car starts, but really rough (huffing and puffing), EPC and check engine light are blinking, then the car dies. "Fuck, here we go I think". Went to go restart the car and it starts fine.

Tell you the truth, this is not the first time that this has happened, probably the third time in the last 12 months. Every now and then the car will start, but with really low RPMs like its gonna die or something, so I rev the engine a little to help it start and stay on. So far every time that I've experienced a rough start, I'd try a second time and everything would be ok.

Starting to get worried though. I'm already at 59k miles :(.