GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: SAI Delete on CBFA Engine

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Not a fan of this, at all. SAI is one of the best emissions control inventions ever, and dramatically reduces NOx and CO emissions with ZERO cost to performance. Its downright asinine to 1) remove and 2) advocate the removal of this device just to make your engine bay look cleaner. And seriously, do you think anyone else will ever notice?

I'm hoping that you just don't realize why SAI is used. The VAST majority of harmful emissions produced by cars occur during the first few minutes while the cat's get up to temp. And by VAST, we're talking upwards of 90% in some situations. The SAI is there to speed up the heating process. This modification will significantly extend the amount of time required for cat's to heat up, and will result in, ballpark, 5-20x times more NOx and CO emissions.

Basically, you're now pumping out more toxic gas than an 18-wheeler semi. And for no reason, at all. Great job.

:thumbsup::word:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Not saying anything else but Eurodyne can turn this fault code off among man others. Just learned about it today.

Yeah man, I got your PM. Good stuff to hear! Fortunately, I was able to fix my issue with a simple APR CBFA filter.

Its good though for anyone wanting to delete the SAI pump.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
hmm.....its a certain filter they use? Besides the breather one?

Sounds like something they should be throwing in with their kits for us CBFA guys lol

No its the breather filter. I forgot to put the "breather" in it. It basically allows for maximum flow. I did some logs and the air flow through the pump with and without the filter is unchanged with APR's filter. The old filter I had on there decreased it by 30-40%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what was giving me the fault.

VINNY1

Ready to race!
Lots of time spent for no performance gain, and more pollution. Plus the added benefit of a CEL. Count me in.

Almost forgot I have a CBTA engine. I wish I had a CBFA, just so I could do this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

P

plac

Lots of time spent for no performance gain, and more pollution. Plus the added benefit of a CEL. Count me in.

Almost forgot I have a CBTA engine. I wish I had a CBFA, just so I could do this.

:wosschilder980:

speed4568

Ready to race!
any updates on this?

thygreyt

Racekor.
wow. this just goes to demostrate how little people know about car's electronics.

lets get clear on one thing, i'm not talking about the enviroment.
for all i care, i'll be dead long before anything has to concern me.

now: if you read a bit on the mk3 and mk4 sai delete, you'll understand why is it that this "mod" is SUPER dangerous. Under the "right" conditions, you could very likely blow up your engine.

basically: you are making your car loose AFR control. its operating on a AFR narrowband.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
This system only operates under specific startup conditions and no other time after that. If there is an issue that occurs the system defaults to a specific startup lambda, which is a little rich in some cases. This is apparent due to the smell.

I did enough research on this system when I had my P0491:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31179

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm about to delete my SAI and was wondering if anyone has any info in regard to which resistor(s) are needed and where to code the CEL off in VCDS. Urotuning sells resistors (https://www.urotuning.com/SAi-EVAP-Delete-Resistor-Kit-3-pcs-Mk4-1-8T-p/sai_resistor_mk4_kit.htm) but I'm not sure they'll be compatible.

I just ordered this block off plate so I'll update here when I do the install/delete, but I figured by now someone has had to have dealt with this before.

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
Well I guess I'm the only one interested in this at the moment, but just in case anyone else is in the future I'm going to post my progress with the SAI delete here.

I've been struggling to find any specific information in regard to the resistors needed for the Mk6 (everything available online pertains to Mk4s), but this thread pointed to utilizing four 10w 330 ohm resistors. So I ordered a few up from China and will likely begin the delete as soon as they arrive.

I'm also going to be contacting APR to see if there's any way they can code out the fault, being that I run their stage 2 tune, but may have to go though Integrated Engineering or a customer tuner or something. Obviously my end goal is the fully remove the SAI without a persistent CEL.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Another option instead of deleting is to just eliminate the tubing and put the filter down on the pump itself. Cleans up the engine bay but still allows the pump to work.

https://flic.kr/p/Dpa6qd