GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Whine

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys.

I just got done with my 1/2 mile shootout, and my car is exhibiting some weird (different) behaviors.

1) There is a whining sound that exists at low RPM in second gear (starting around 1500rpm) that wasn't that noticeable previously.

Here's a video:

2) My (radiator?) fan turns on every time when I turn the car off. I know my TDI did that from time to time, but it's now doing that 100% every time.

I recently added a Neuspeed intercooler, flashed APR v3.1 and APR DSG tune. All of this was done before I raced yesterday, however and I didn't notice the whine.

I did pop an intercooler hose on the way to the track, but put it back on and the car ran like a champ all yesterday. The transmission has been a little jerkier as well at low speeds.

Any advice or input is most appreciated.

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Lately, since the temps have gone up, my radiator fans stay on high for a while after hard driving. And since you're doing 1/2 mile runs that seems perfectly normal.

And I wouldn't call my experience with low revs on v3.1 jerky per se. Maybe snappy, which is good in my opinion. Maybe you're experiencing something abnormal there though. Can't view the video btw

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
Interesting that it starting making the whining after the fact. Personally my DSG has been making sounds like that plus clunking ever since I had the K04 installed. My tuner advised me that it was pretty normal for a K04 DSG car but I still feel some days the DSG is just going to grenade on me.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Lately, since the temps have gone up, my radiator fans stay on high for a while after hard driving. And since you're doing 1/2 mile runs that seems perfectly normal.

And I wouldn't call my experience with low revs on v3.1 jerky per se. Maybe snappy, which is good in my opinion. Maybe you're experiencing something abnormal there though. Can't view the video btw

Fan activity and jerkiness wasn't there post v3.1/pre drag race. Temps haven't changed all that much by me lately.

Interesting that it starting making the whining after the fact. Personally my DSG has been making sounds like that plus clunking ever since I had the K04 installed. My tuner advised me that it was pretty normal for a K04 DSG car but I still feel some days the DSG is just going to grenade on me.

Somewhat worried as well. I'm at 38k miles, so I'm due for the DSG service. Maybe that will resolve it...

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
Fan activity and jerkiness wasn't there post v3.1/pre drag race. Temps haven't changed all that much by me lately.

Just to reiterate though, after hard driving the fans going after you shut the car off is fine. On the other hand that whining noise is strange. I'd take it to the dealer to get checked out. Should still fall under the 60k mile powertrain warranty.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Just to reiterate though, after hard driving the fans going after you shut the car off is fine. On the other hand that whining noise is strange. I'd take it to the dealer to get checked out. Should still fall under the 60k mile powertrain warranty.

Gotcha. I agree with your statement right after running. However, after driving to/from work and to lunch, the fans are still kicking in :)

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
2nd gear whines man, that's just how it is. You usually don't notice it if you have your radio on.

This could be very well the case, even on my manual I here some whining

Last edited:

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Yup. The DSGs whine, and mine got louder after my K04 install and downpipe install. It's been doing it for years and has not gotten worse. There hav been several threads about this, and all reached the same conclusion. Some DSGs whine and it isn't a problem. The dealer can document the issue but they won't do anything about it unless it's really loud or the transmission fails. My car has done it since new.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Off topic, but...... any vids of the half mile runs or any stories?

Yup, I'll start a thread later today if I can :)

sent from GS4 using tapatalk

boxfresh1

Stumbled on your video through a Google search and thought i'd find the original post in this forum.

I am experiencing the EXACT same noise since my Unitronic Stage 2 ECU and Stage 2 DSG tune. It gets really scary when you hold the revs in gear 2 and DSG makes a whining noise that comes and goes - almost as if car is about to stall.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Weird.. never noticed it on my car. After I did the fluid change, I noticed a weird sound when I'm at a light on the brakes with the AC on. It's faint, and it just sounds like I can hear the compressor a little louder than I should. Makes me wonder if I didn't drain out enough excess fluid.

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
Gotcha. I agree with your statement right after running. However, after driving to/from work and to lunch, the fans are still kicking in :)

I'm in Southern Arizona and don't drive it too hard when it's cooking outside.
My fans will stay on for 5 or 10 minutes sometimes - had it do it after a drive at night too.