GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Autobahn - Is this a good deal?

punchagoat

Banned

techchallenger

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like a fair deal to me. It's certified (better warranty than if purchased new) and you're getting ~$5,000 off for ~12,000 miles...

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
It's a sweet car. I like the features the AB package has. I just did a quick search on KBB and it shows the retail should be 25,500? there isn't a way to add the autobahn package but to add the individual features like , nav,hid,leather,moonroof , prem wheels . 26000 is considered expensive then.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ah, with CPO warranty and that low of miles, I feel its "reasonably" priced, but you should be able to get them down about $1K. Depending on how long its been sitting with them.

If you'd like personal help, please check my sig link and PM me.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
invoice on a new 2013 GTI AB is about 30k . usually dealers have no problem doing 500 bucks above invoice. If you go towards the last 3 days of the month , they usually give in easier to meet quotes. it's 4k more but at least you have extra year of warranty. usually if you finance a used car the interest rate is usually higher . If you finance new you can usually get close to 0% if you have decent credit and it will make up the difference of the 4k. I actually had the same situation when I bought my R. I was getting 2.7% with my credit union which made my payment around 550. I wanted to purchase the GAP/extended warranty that covers the brake pads , wipers and batteries which was an extra 3k . The dealer was able to finance me through vw credit for .7% and my payment went up 7 dollars. It's amazing how interest rates can effect stuff. If your all about monthly payment then do the research on what's the best rate you can get. If your really worried about the bottom line price than I would probably do private party so you can save on tax and title. It's a killer deal sometimes.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
invoice on a new 2013 GTI AB is about 30k . usually dealers have no problem doing 500 bucks above invoice. If you go towards the last 3 days of the month , they usually give in easier to meet quotes. it's 4k more but at least you have extra year of warranty. usually if you finance a used car the interest rate is usually higher . If you finance new you can usually get close to 0% if you have decent credit and it will make up the difference of the 4k. I actually had the same situation when I bought my R. I was getting 2.7% with my credit union which made my payment around 550. I wanted to purchase the GAP/extended warranty that covers the brake pads , wipers and batteries which was an extra 3k . The dealer was able to finance me through vw credit for .7% and my payment went up 7 dollars. It's amazing how interest rates can effect stuff. If your all about monthly payment then do the research on what's the best rate you can get. If your really worried about the bottom line price than I would probably do private party so you can save on tax and title. It's a killer deal sometimes.

interest rates should never affect/be affected by packages you buy.

That is not the actual invoice of the car... far from it.

Agreed on deals at end of the month and financing rates as far as used vs new.

GAP coverage on a new car that you paid $2K+ under sticker? brake pads? wipers and batteries.. all for $3,000?!? you got hosed, big time... so yeah, of course they gave you a lower interest rate, you bought more worthless shit.

The only thing that should ever dictate interest rate is your CREDIT RATING, plain and simple.

You "got $2K under what you think is invoice", but is actually just MSRP - the dealer then upcharged you $3K on stupid stuff, so you effectively bought your car at $1K over MSRP, with very low financing. congrats ;)

so, while you walked out thinking you "did so great", the dealer just got you big time and made huge profit over the actual invoice AND MSRP.

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
I purchased the car for 800 over invoice , GAP and warranty was 1800 total. The additional items i didn't mention was for accessories I rolled into the loan. I'm not thrilled about purchasing extended warranties but a friend of mine actually suggested it because it will actually be used when it comes time for new battery, wipers and pads.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I purchased the car for 800 over invoice , GAP and warranty was 1800 total. The additional items i didn't mention was for accessories I rolled into the loan. I'm not thrilled about purchasing extended warranties but a friend of mine actually suggested it because it will actually be used when it comes time for new battery, wipers and pads.

You said $3K... so which is it, $1800 or $3K?

$800 over an invoice price they made up/told you...

Your friend shouldn't be suggesting / consulting people on buying cars. Battery is $60-$100 on average, wipers... $40 total front, $18 rear, brake pads.. can do Stoptech Streets (upgrade over stock) for about $130 approx... so that's about what, $260 give or take?

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
Indeed those smaller things are cheaper. Brake job on a R isn't as cheap compare to GTI. I'm not a mech so i'm not going to try to do the brakes myself. The warranty does cover parts and labor on all the items I listed. Dealer charges 700+ for the brake job.

There isn't really a need to belittle someone on the forums for paying over MSRP from the dealer. Everyone has been burned one time or another. You might feel like I got ripped and to some extend i'm sure everyone that goes to the dealer probably has. This was the last R in Arizona so it was either pay 800 over or leave. I wasn't forced into getting the warranty but I did get GAP because i had a previous loan rolled in which was the additional 1200 making it 3k total. I ended up getting the actual car for 34k before taxes. The dealer didn't tell me what his invoice was I went online to look it up so i figured about 800 over.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Ok.. not trying to rip you, sorry - trying to be realistic with things. So, where is this package in writing with regard to your brakes? and how long does it last/how many miles till it expires?

Elchinophil

Ready to race!
It's alright I get the same feeling if I see someone else trying to get ripped. The package I got is from VW itself . it last for 5 years or 60k specifically covers - wipers , extra key , battery , brake pads which parts and labor , i made sure it was applicable to a Golf R as well . I will probably get to use it next year n half.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OK, is that package in writing somewhere as far as limitations, etc?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys if you plan on continuing your discussion please start a new thread. I would like to keep this one on topic.

for sure.

go in, ask for $1500-2k off their car to start.

Are you trading in a 335i then? year, mileage?