GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone "daily driver" Opinion

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd like to share my journey with this, especially to go with gijoewoz's comment. Grab a snack. I had a ton of wheel hop doing launches and was missing 5th sometimes with spirited shifting when I first got it. I was having a blast with the power. Installed the HPA mount which remedied most of that but the NVH took away from the clean feel of the car, especially with the AC on and driving in reverse. I tried the BFI Stage 1 engine/trans mounts for a year which were incredible for performance, shifted like a solid block of metal and sounded like a diesel, but the NVH was way too nasty for DD ( it would be minimal they said ). I kinda miss the grippy launches and the rage, but unless you're doing that all the time or on a track it's just not worth it. Took those out and went to the 034 mounts which still had solid performance over stock and brought the NVH down to a comfortable purr. Also didn't feel like all the vibration was right under the seats with just the HPA mount.

I also have the Tyrol subframe collars but I did them with the BFI mount install and went to the 034 right after so I don't know what part of the solid feel is from the mounts vs the subframe collars.

I read on this forum, or maybe vortex, that the Unibrace UB would dissipate the NVH from the HPR mount considerably, which I can happily confirm. When turning on the AC the vibrations used to feel like they were traveling up the body to crescendo, now they just sit nice a chill at the floor, almost gone. The rattles going in reverse are gone too. Next was the Fluidampr pulley. I didn't get to do a full perception test because of other issues at the time, but on the daily I can say the vibes are gone at idle and barely noticeable with the AC. It feels stock and classy again but with solid shifting and reduced slop.

Side note, on one of few reinstallations for other repairs I cross threaded one of engine mount bolts into the mounting bracket on the engine and it ended up snapping the mount going over a pothole one day. I replaced it with a CTS one because they sell separately instead of the engine/trans pair. Ended up doing both because I was told both mounts need to wear in evenly and should be replaced together, plus there was a sale. The CTS engine mount seems to be a little better build because the piece that goes from the mount to the engine bracket can't be pulled out like the 034 one ( did I have a weird one? ). Perceived performance is the same.

There is still some engine movement which isn't a problem but I had to try the APR pendulum. I love the performance, it's absolutely perfect on shifts and even feels like it stiffens up body roll in the front. There are minor added vibes but nothing that anyone will notice except for you, maybe. HOWEVER, the AC is just embarrassing with this mount. All the vibration seems to find its way into the dash and my passengers always give me that "wtf" look. It's unearthed a couple rattles from the glovebox and passenger door too. I just uninstalled it this week to go back to stock and I'm happy. Driving around with my GF today I asked her if she remembers how the car shakes with the AC on, then told her it had been on the whole time, she was very impressed.

There is a small part of me that wishes I left the mounts alone because I ended up chasing stock NVH. Overall I am very happy with my current setup as it is the sweet spot for DD in my area ( no twisties and moderate stop/go commute ) and spirited driving, for me. If I were starting over I'd probably try the VWR mounts because I hear they have less NVH and better performance than the HPA puck, just a much harder install and more coin. If it settles the APR pendulum mount with the AC on that would be perfection, but its not that important to me anymore. Maybe HYDE can comment on that since I think he has everything.

gijoewoz is right, you need to figure out what you want out of it because modding is a slippery slope and NVH is subjective. Some will say firmer mounts have no vibes at all while others like me care about AC and not feeling like my ride is 30 years old.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I've run several mount configurations. 034 street engine and trans mounts + tyrolsport subframe collars + VWR subframe mounts (upper and lower) + APR dogbone has been the best by far, no major vibes with AC on.

Isn’t your APR mount modified? Thought you had a super pro poly mount in place of the bearing? So wouldn’t this change how it acts compared to APR’s original design? Just curious if it softens up some of the vibrations since would be more of a dampening material compared to metal to metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I had more vibes with just a poly insert without anything else. Upgraded to 034 Street Density Motor/Trans Mount, 034 metal insert and 034 pendulum not much comfort loss even with A/C on.

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I had more vibes with just a poly insert without anything else. Upgraded to 034 Street Density Motor/Trans Mount, 034 metal insert and 034 pendulum not much comfort loss even with A/C on.

I have a similar setup and it is pretty tame. 034 Street Density Engine/Transmission Mounts, 034 Billet Insert, and ECS Tuning Pendulum Mount. My car is a manual and it only has slight NVH, mostly on clutch engagement from a stop.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I have a similar setup and it is pretty tame. 034 Street Density Engine/Transmission Mounts, 034 Billet Insert, and ECS Tuning Pendulum Mount. My car is a manual and it only has slight NVH, mostly on clutch engagement from a stop.
Great to hear. This is the route I'll be going. Just waiting on 034 to give me a Black Friday sale....

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I have 034 Street Density motor/trans, 034 billet insert, and an APR pendulum. Daily driving is about the same as with just an insert. A little more vibration with the A/C on, but totally livable

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Great to hear. This is the route I'll be going. Just waiting on 034 to give me a Black Friday sale....
I have 034 Street Density motor/trans, 034 billet insert, and an APR pendulum. Daily driving is about the same as with just an insert. A little more vibration with the A/C on, but totally livable
Wanted to follow up here since I just installed 034 SD engine/trans mounts and an ECS Pendulum Mount thanks to the feedback in this thread. I previously had a 034 billet insert installed so that stayed in also. Car feels fantastic and I wish I did this sooner. My experience is basically the same as OhioMK6 and 2012TP but I have some more comments/impressions in post #155 of my build thread for anyone interested.