GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18149 Clutch pressure, adaptation at limit

RestoredSparda

Just saw this code after a scan using carista on my 2014 GTI with DSG transmission. Has about 50k miles, 10k of the last miles with a stage 1 APR tune. Nothing seems to be wrong with it besides shuddering when coming to a stop (been that way for a long time). Does anyone know what this code means? Warn out clutch packs, something else? I've googled for hours but not seeing much helpful info

Transmission
Part #: 02E300058P
Coding: 20 (decimal)
Component: GSG DSG AG6
Fault codes:
18149 Clutch pressure, adaptation at limit

RestoredSparda

Clear the code and try a DSG adaptation.

But the adaptation limit has been reached! Lol.

I've cleared it 2 times and it's come back 2 times this week. Then randomly (without clearing) it was gone. But it came back again today. Maybe I'll look into an adaptation and also checking dsg oil levels. I had the oil changed at 40k miles.

Uberryan

Banned
I've yet to ever see that error. Might be a hardware problem.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
There isn't a way to check the DSG fluid level really. But I don't think adaptation at the limit means you cant do it. You're just doing the basic settings reset.

Follow this procedure. Takes only a few mins.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

Also I looked up the code online and I saw others who had it, but no definitive answer what causes it and nothing on rosstech's page. That code and shuddering is worrying though lol. Hopefully major component isnt toast but trying basic settings can't hurt.

Last edited:

RestoredSparda

Thanks for the help trying to diagnose. I might bring it to a local shop as I don't have vag com. Shuddering is only when dropping from first to neutral when coming to a stop. (As in when in drive the car drops from first to disengage the clutch at a stop..I'm not putting it in neutral) It's been like that for many miles and many people have it so it's not really a new symptom for me. Puttering around at parking lot speeds has always been clunky in my car. Giving it the beans and shifting has always and continues to be very smooth though.

I did find one person with a deisel Jetta online with a dsg who had this code and one more. Turned out he needed new clutch packs and a converter.

Last edited:

Uberryan

Banned
Thanks for the help trying to diagnose. I might bring it to a local shop as I don't have vag com. Shuddering is only when dropping from first to neutral when coming to a stop. (As in when in drive the car drops from first to disengage the clutch at a stop..I'm not putting it in neutral) It's been like that for many miles and many people have it so it's not really a new symptom for me. Puttering around at parking lot speeds has always been clunky in my car. Giving it the beans and shifting has always and continues to be very smooth though.

I did find one person with a deisel Jetta online with a dsg who had this code and one more. Turned out he needed new clutch packs and a converter.

Well the disengaging shudder from 1st to neutral is likely going to be a mechatronics unit. My car does this, but I can't fork out the $2k+ to get a new one installed currently due to other expenses pounding my bank account. It's driveable, and there's no codes on my ECU, but I get rough downshifts like that, audible clunks along with it. I reset my adaptation nearly once every 2 months to make it feel less like shit. The fact that you have a recurring code is a bit concerning. Either the mech unit is toast, or the clutch packs/DMF are.

If I had to take a shot in the dark though, probably mech unit. Same shit that occurred on the MKV units too, that they have a recall campaign on. If you discover that is the case, make sure you file a complaint with the NHTSA about this, as VW will not offer you any assistance on repairing/replacing the unit which isn't exactly a wear/tear part or meant to fail unless abused.

RestoredSparda

Is the mech unit covered under powertrain warranty?, I'm still under 65k miles. I'm guessing nothing else is covered.

Sorry you have to deal with a borked transmission. This would be an awesome car if it worked right. My cousin has a DSG Passat and has the same issues as you. Just doesn't want to pay for a new mech unit either. Ugh.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Is the mech unit covered under powertrain warranty?, I'm still under 65k miles. I'm guessing nothing else is covered.

Sorry you have to deal with a borked transmission. This would be an awesome car if it worked right. My cousin has a DSG Passat and has the same issues as you. Just doesn't want to pay for a new mech unit either. Ugh.

Good point, I'd imagine the mech unit would be covered under powertrain. Take it in TC!

Messy

I remember reading somewhere about a faulty solenoid and flimsy harness inside the transmission pan. I'm going to do a fluid and filter swap soon. I'm hoping that is the issue I find as I've had the same code since I bought the car a year ago. Do you guys ever have the car slam into gear after a quick foot off of the brake to fast throttle?

I'm apr stage 2. Perhaps this could be a dsg tune issue but I'll report back in the next few months when I get to it.