GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI World Record 10.01 @ 136mph 1/4

GhostGTI1

Banned
Nothing of mine will be posted on this site again. Follow on instagram if you want to see build updates.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Can't imagine the $$$ to get it to move that fast or how fugly he turned the superior interior. Cool for him, but I'll take my 4 doors with leather seats and comforts, lol. Sometimes it's not always about the speed.

Ultimately that has been the GTI life. OK/decent powa with nicer interior than probably what you would find at the price range. There are plenty others offering better power with subpar interior at the price range so it comes down to preference.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
That's pretty damn impressive. don't think i saw HP/Weight figures? Likely in the high 500's-low 600's?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Having lived through the years of high hp Hondas there is a point all high hp turbo 4cly sound like this...

Sounded like some time was lost in the transition through the gears. Not quit the bang bang and more like naaa.....naaaa....naaa. So I am sure there is time to be made on this to get it in the 9's

GhostGTI1

Banned
Can't imagine the $$$ to get it to move that fast or how fugly he turned the superior interior. Cool for him, but I'll take my 4 doors with leather seats and comforts, lol. Sometimes it's not always about the speed.

Ultimately that has been the GTI life. OK/decent powa with nicer interior than probably what you would find at the price range. There are plenty others offering better power with subpar interior at the price range so it comes down to preference.

Well if you want speed don't buy a GTI haha I like the slightly better interior than most in the price range but these cars are still painfully slow. GTR/V8 cars/Supras/Evo's is the way to go if you want to go fast. They have banging interiors too besides the Evo.

Guessing this guy spent around 15-20k on mods alone. Pretty bad bang for the buck IMO considering it will only do high 9's if he's lucky. Put that money into other platforms and you are looking at low 9's/8's easy.

Last edited:

GhostGTI1

Banned
Having lived through the years of high hp Hondas there is a point all high hp turbo 4cly sound like this...

Sounded like some time was lost in the transition through the gears. Not quit the bang bang and more like naaa.....naaaa....naaa. So I am sure there is time to be made on this to get it in the 9's

True. I think if it was banging gears it wouldn't sound as terrible.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Well if you want speed don't buy a GTI haha I like the slightly better interior than most in the price range but these cars are still painfully slow. GTR/V8 cars/Supras/Evo's is the way to go if you want to go fast. They have banging interiors too besides the Evo.

Guessing this guy spent around 15-20k on mods alone. Pretty bad bang for the buck IMO considering it will only do high 9's if he's lucky. Put that money into other platforms and you are looking at low 9's/8's.

Where’s the fun in doing the same thing as everyone else in the same cars as everyone else?

It’s weird to be on a GTI forum and see people criticizing someone for pushing the limits of their GTI.

GhostGTI1

Banned
Where’s the fun in doing the same thing as everyone else in the same cars as everyone else?

It’s weird to be on a GTI forum and see people criticizing someone for pushing the limits of their GTI.

It's a car forum like all the others at the end of the day, most aren't here to fanboy a platform. Personally i like the GTI but can't see putting more than $10k into one. Not enough bang for the buck. I posted because i was impressed. Just stating my opinion after seeing what a build like that does.

And i'm sure where he's from the popular cars in the states aren't cheap to buy or build compared to Euro brands. Hat's off to the dude tho, it's one hell of a sleeper. I'm sure he'll hold that record for a long time.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It's a car forum like all the others at the end of the day, most aren't here to fanboy a platform. Personally i like the GTI but can't see putting more than $10k into one. Not enough bang for the buck. I posted because i was impressed. Just stating my opinion after seeing what a build like that does.

And i'm sure where he's from the popular cars in the states aren't cheap to buy or build compared to Euro brands. Hat's off to the dude tho, it's one hell of a sleeper. I'm sure he'll hold that record for a long time.

It's not about being a fanboy, it's just about appreciating a really cool car whose owners are innovating and pushing the limits who probably aren't in it just for the speed, but for the challenge of doing something that has yet to be done.

The color-by-numbers approach many of us take is fine because most of us aren't looking for records, but when people reach new heights I think it should only be applauded. These are the folks who give the rest of us blueprints to duplicate in the least expensive way possible.

I also think that most GTI owners under-value the platform. At the most I might be able to get about $7k in a private sale for my car. After I dump $13k into improving it there isn't much available that can touch it for $20k in regards to overall refinement and performance. The closest would be a used Mk7 GTI, but it'd be stock while my Mk6 is running mid 12's in the quarter with upgraded brakes and suspension to match the power.

Maybe you can go faster for less in something else, but I think any comparison is splitting hairs. Besides, adding performance is cheap and easy these days, but adding refinement to an EVO or a 15 year old Mustang GT is more or less impossible.

Just my $.02, for what (little) it's worth.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
It's impressive no doubt. I'm just also in the majority who think the bang for buck on this car isn't all that worth it. The parts new are very expensive.

I think the best power for buck mod will always be going Stage 1, but the power isn't making you kill other cars, it's just helping the car move on to the highway or keep up with traffic from a red light.

In the end, the more money you can throw at any car to give it power will eventually work. I just think the money people would have to throw at this car to make it do numbers like this, they would have enough money to buy another car that is even more impressive overall.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
It's impressive no doubt. I'm just also in the majority who think the bang for buck on this car isn't all that worth it. The parts new are very expensive.

I think the best power for buck mod will always be going Stage 1, but the power isn't making you kill other cars, it's just helping the car move on to the highway or keep up with traffic from a red light.

In the end, the more money you can throw at any car to give it power will eventually work. I just think the money people would have to throw at this car to make it do numbers like this, they would have enough money to buy another car that is even more impressive overall.

I certainly agree with you that the GTI is not a great car to start with if you're building a drag car, but saying a stage 1 tune "just help(ing) the car move on to the highway or keep up with traffic from a red light" is ridiculous. Even in stock form this car has plenty of power to do much more than "keep up with traffic from a red light."