GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

dummy's golf R build: Günther

ian dummy

Ready to race!
I'm getting started on this a bit late, but I also haven't been active on here for very long. I took delivery on February 2nd and promptly got to work on "Günther." I'll post pics (and videos) as I have them...

3 Feb 2012: Pickup. This shot is from while it was being PDI'd. I got to watch and help with the entire process. I didn't take any pics with the wrap on because I was too excited

After taking it home (bone stock):

I had a weeklong pause as we had a software golive at work I was one of the project build team for thus was working 14 hour days.

12 Feb 2012: Paint protection install by my friend's company, http://autoarmornw.com, the best installers in the NW
Link to time lapse video of the install:
Golf R kit install - Quicktime
After install completed:

15 Feb 2012: 10% tint all the way around
Sorry, no pics of the process but more coming.

18 Feb 2012: H&R Premium coils and P3cars gauge installed
mid-install

gauge

post install

2 Mar 2012: APR stage 1 (thanks to the boys at http://achtuning.com

MODIFICATIONS LIST:
3m PPF (full hood, fenders, bumper)- done
10% tint all the way around- done
H&R premium coilovers - done
p3cars vent gauge - done
APR stage 1 - done
HPA haldex controller - installed
HPA core interlock mount - installed
OEM LED tails - installed
dieselgeek sigma 6 short shift kit - installed
18x8 et45 R8 Replicas - installed
EVOMS Intake - to be ordered
APR HPFP - to be ordered
downpipe - waiting for HPA to release
brake upgrade - waiting to see what stoptech releases

Last edited:

ian dummy

Ready to race!
i got a call from HPA today, their wireless controllers for the haldex controller were delayed. so instead of having it installed this friday, i have to wait an extra week.

on a positive note, my diesel geek short shifter will be here this week...

and a pic for clicks (from another rainy seattle day):

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That blue sure is purdy.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
:thumbsup:

ian dummy

Ready to race!
So the last 3 days have been somewhat busy (both with work and upgrades).

7 Mar 2012: another trip to Achtuning. Alignment and adjusted the coilovers to stop the rubbing. Now 25" FTG all the way around.

9 Mar 2012: Installed the LED tails. They really should have been stock on the US R. Haven't had a chance to code them yet, but I'm ordering a VAG-COM next week.

10 Mar 2012: Installed the DieselGeek Sigma 6 short shift kit. Pulled the engine temp sensor to get it out of the way when installing. Had cooling fans come on full blast until engine warmed up. I think it just reset the sensor or something. No idea why, but no issue now. It is a MUST-DO for anyone who has a manual transmission. They have updated the design a bit since 2006 when I put one in my GTI. Made the install a bit easier.

Also installed red LEDs for my interior lights. Didn't do the vanity mirror lights, glovebox, or trunk yet as I still need to order the LEDs. Did red and not blue as I care about my night vision and it matches the interior better.

Need to figure out which intake to do now...

Summer rims should be in this week. Then I think it'll be time to swap to the summer tires. That or powder coat the new rims gloss black. Still trying to decide.

Now if we'd just get a decent day here in Seattle I could wash and wax him.

JhnR

Banned
nice car man. you should hold of for some nice wheels for summer. Leave it the way it is, bam get something really nice summer time.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
I may wait to put the summer wheels on till April, but here in Seattle we don't have much in terms of bad weather this late in the year. I'm just going with another set of 18s. Ill post pics of the wheels when they come later this week.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
Great progress! The only thing I don't like is the red interior light. I think it's better in white.