GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car won't start... Loud clicking :/

KAW96

Passed Driver's Ed
So I went to start my car just now and the car just makes a really loud ticking/clicking noise and won't start. The clicks are very rapid; it sounds like a god damn taser. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this?

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Check the terminals see if they are secure, takes more juice to start that work lights, if they are secure, you could try cleaning them, if it still does the same thing get a new battery.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
But all of the interior lights and headlights are working

The battery probably has enough power to run the interior lights and headlights, but not enough to turn the engine over.

You could always get your battery tested at an auto parts store.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
put headlights on in accessory mode, then hold down your windows up button (with your windows already up) and dome lights on...if they dim really really bad its probably your battery.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Battery.

Happened to me just a couple of months ago.

Everything else worked fine, lights, radio, windows, doors unlocking and locking...

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Clicking is the sound of a relay. The battery has enough juice to run accessories but not enough CCAs to turn the motor over, you need a new battery. Batteries often die during a cold spell as CCA is related to temperature, in warmer weather an old battery can put out enough juice but when the cold hits it's just not strong enough.

Beej1

Ready to race!
Everyone's already said battery, which is correct, but I'll explain the ticking.

Your battery voltage is not high enough for the starter bendix to fully engage, so it's spinning, but it's barely engaging the flywheel.

FNR32

Ready to race!
Am i the only one who rides around with a batter jump box in the hatch? Never had this happen to me in the GTi, but I've had it happen enough that I felt the $50 investment from harbor freight was worth it.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Yeah except those jump boxes have a bad habit of not working when you really need them.