GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage DSG service?

CLarge

Hello all.

about a year ago we purchased a Mk6 for my wife to use. We checked the carfax for accident history, but there was no evidence of service on the DSG.

To not bore you with a long story. We were at the dealer today to have the DSG service performed and they cautioned us about changing the fluid, if it has never been changed and since there is no evidence that it has via a carfax check, we are not sure if it has.

PO said it was done not too long ago at the dealership he works at in Cali. Local techs went for a ride with my wife and said that the car feels nice and there is no abnormal sounds or vibrations when shifting. They also scanned for any codes and none are stored.

I know they are trying to cover all bases, but what is the risk of changing the DSG fluid if it has never been changed? I would think with 170k on the clock, (wife drives ALOT for work) that if it had never been changed, issues would have presented themselves by now.

The dealer is concerned about the fluid change possibly causing more damage than leaving the old stuff in there.

Any help would be appreciated.

zrickety

The Fixer
This is an old wives tale that Chevy owners tell about automatic truck transmissions. Leaving the old fluid in your DSG is NOT better than changing it. You won't do any damage. But it might be smart to go to another dealer or a tuner shop if they are being this weird about it. Fluid, filter, drive it.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Dealer is just trying to scare you and likely charge you for some other stuff as soon as they get it in to do the fluid change.

Have it changed, move on.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
This is an old wives tale that Chevy owners tell about automatic truck transmissions. Leaving the old fluid in your DSG is NOT better than changing it. You won't do any damage. But it might be smart to go to another dealer or a tuner shop if they are being this weird about it. Fluid, filter, drive it.

+1 Change the fluid & filter.

Uberryan

Banned
how many miles do you suspect are on the fluid and filter at this point?

CLarge

how many miles do you suspect are on the fluid and filter at this point?

Not sure. Based on PO, should be around 35K if it has been serviced, if not 170K.

I have a feeling that is has been serviced. There are no leaks, no strange noises and no slipping, except for the "normal" slipping when first starting off.

We have an appointment at Gruppe Tuning to get the service done.