GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best method for adhesive removal.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Sometime this week I am going to remove the GTI badge from my trunk and want to know the best method for getting all the adhesive off. I've heard some people say goo gone is ok and others say that it destroys the paint, anyone have any experience with it or alternative methods?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i've used a bunch of methods. Heres my suggestion

Hit it with a hairdryer for a few minutes to soften the adhesive as much as possible
Peel off the badges or run some dental floss behind the badges to get them off
take whatever off you can by hand, then either goo gone or dedicated 3m adhesive remover (from autozone or something, safe on car paint) to get the rest off.
buff with microfiber cloth, REWAX after. you may see a hologram where thebadge used to be and swirl marks aruond everything else from years of use, so polishing recommended if you're a neat freak.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I tried goo gone and my paint is still fine. I used it sparingly mind you. If you do decide to try it, then maybe try the goo gone wipes.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Love ammo NYC. Larry is seriously one of the best of the best I'm. Especially with video content vs other people, and that goes for anything informative on YouTube. Most people spend half the video just talking about their channel and dumb crap, and then the other half on unspecific nonsense and you don't learn much at all. Larry kills it

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Love ammo NYC. Larry is seriously one of the best of the best I'm. Especially with video content vs other people, and that goes for anything informative on YouTube. Most people spend half the video just talking about their channel and dumb crap, and then the other half on unspecific nonsense and you don't learn much at all. Larry kills it

I used to watch him a while ago, probably gonna start up again, especially since its getting into car wash season

riceburner

Autocross Champion
hes got a lot of great new material

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I've also used Goo Gone with great results. Just don't use it on bare plastic. Metal and painted surfaces are great.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
rubbing alcohol worked fine for me, as a solvent. just be sure to seal up the paint there when youre done - quick detailer works fine.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
rubbing alcohol worked fine for me, as a solvent. just be sure to seal up the paint there when youre done - quick detailer works fine.
I used goo gone last night. Washed the area before and after then waxed afterwards. When I wash this weekend I should see if anything happened to it but I doubt it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Orient Express

Ready to race!
I use 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. It is specially formulated to remove the adhesive from car bodies without damaging the paint. It is a pro item that is usually available from a pro store that caters to paint shops.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Even the safest adhesive remover can leave a dull spot in the paint.

I get the best results from glass cleaner and a new (or at least not dirty or scarred up) plastic razor blade. Heat it, spray it, let it soak a bit, and scrape with as little pressure as possible. Just as effective, and no dull spot.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Even the safest adhesive remover can leave a dull spot in the paint.

I get the best results from glass cleaner and a new (or at least not dirty or scarred up) plastic razor blade. Heat it, spray it, let it soak a bit, and scrape with as little pressure as possible. Just as effective, and no dull spot.

+1 on this. Windex and a plastic scraper. They sell them for removing stickers and stuff. My absolute go to for removing anything sticky is Plexus. Plexus is acrylic cleaner used for aviation windows but has also become popular in motorcycle shops for cleaning visors. We used to use it in the aquarium shop for removing permanent marker from acrylic tanks. Thats how we wrote the prices of fish. It works great on residue. Check your local cycle shop. I should mention it's not cheap but is also great for cleaning your headlights/tailights and will keep them from yellowing.