GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Messed up my dome light

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I was trying to install the DeAutoKey interior LED kit. I started with the dome light. In the process, I bent the metal tabs that keep the bulbs in. Is it possible to bend these back into place. If so, what would be the best way to do this? (prederably without being electrocuted). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seck27

I actually had the same issue when installing mine. This is for the rear light right?
They are extremely thin pieces of metal and will break off like mine did. You have the main cover off right now and that whole assembly you're looking at actually pops out of the headliner. It does have some tabs and an electrical connection but that piece is easy to remove.

I would suggest doing that. It is possible the metal tabs may break so be pretty careful with them.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I actually had the same issue when installing mine. This is for the rear light right?
They are extremely thin pieces of metal and will break off like mine did. You have the main cover off right now and that whole assembly you're looking at actually pops out of the headliner. It does have some tabs and an electrical connection but that piece is easy to remove.

I would suggest doing that. It is possible the metal tabs may break so be pretty careful with them.

Thanks, are there any screws that need to be removed or just use a trim tool around the edge of the assembly?

Seck27

I don't think there were any screws. You should see the tabs along the edge where it pops in.
I did this a few years ago but don't remember have to unscrew it from anything.

Zach0918

Ready to race!
Was able to get the fixture out, just as you recommends. There were no screws that need to be removed. Any suggestion for how to bend these small metal pieces back. Needle nose pliers is the best I’ve come up with.

Seck27

That's probably your best bet. Just make sure to not keep readjusting them back and forth. You should be able to close them enough and just test fit the LED in there to make sure it will hold it.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
If you bend the prongs together before installing bulb it will create a better hold on the bulb. When you wiggle out the glass bulb it stretches the metal prongs.

Our LEDs are small and same size as the incandescent bulb for an easier install.

We are sure many saw this but for anyone who wants some help with install this DIY is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY9HXHQmsGo

Zach0918

Ready to race!
That's probably your best bet. Just make sure to not keep readjusting them back and forth. You should be able to close them enough and just test fit the LED in there to make sure it will hold it.

Ended up breaking a tab but thankfully I ordered a replacement for 7 bucks shipped from eBay. Not sure how they even make money on that but I’m certainly happy.