GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake upgrade

Staver

Passed Driver's Ed
Are these fronts only or front and rear?

Not 100% sure - I'm thinking it is both front and rear but I need to double check - a lot of their customers upgrade to big brake kits and other after-market brake sets - so I'm thinking both - but again, not 100% sure.

I do know that for my spare tire - I will have to play some tire Tetris after the brake mods as the 15" rim won't fit on the front but it will still fit on the back.... so maybe it is just the front....

I'll ask and get back to you.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I think I've decided to go with oem 312 front rotors and carriers, oem rear rotors and HPS pads all the way around. 312 rotors won't add much weight but should help with brake fade when coming back from the family cabin in the mountains. I think I am going to add the stiffer bushings as well for a firmer pedal.
With our limited HP, I'm not a fan of heavier rotors, I was thinking of incorporating these from my Porsche to the Golf.

Attachments

• 944_backing_plate_installed.jpg
    944_backing_plate_installed.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 203

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
What'd you duct tape a shop vac to the bottom of your porche.:lol: No in all seriousness that's pretty sweet.

Ya I decided to stick with the stock brake size and just go with new pads and rotors. Nothin fancy just better pads and probably some Brembo blanks or OEM nothing exciting but that will do the job.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
What'd you duct tape a shop vac to the bottom of your porche.:lol: No in all seriousness that's pretty sweet.

Ya I decided to stick with the stock brake size and just go with new pads and rotors. Nothin fancy just better pads and probably some Brembo blanks or OEM nothing exciting but that will do the job.
It sure looks like that :lol:

I believe I understand your situation, when I was last in CA, I drove some of the Malibu Canyon roads/trails and smoked the brakes and tranny on a brand new rented Hyundai Elantra. Maybe I shoulda rented the VW Beattle instead.

Make sure you bleed the brakes too, fresh fluid is always good.

I may make adding brake ducts to the front brakes a project although I haven't needed them at the track yet.

On initial application of the brakes, VW actually actuates the rear brakes before the fronts, that's why the rear brakes wear so fast on VWs. If you use a infared temp gun to shoot the rear rotors they actually run pretty hot compared to other manufacturers.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
OK so I am having a hell of a time figuring out the rear brakes. So it seems from the pad part number they are bosch w/ 272 rotors, but I don't see bosch stamped on the caliper anywhere an it doesn't look like a banjo fitting. Why does vw have some many rotor/caliper conbos for the same freakin car. I guess I am just going to have to call the dealer and get PN off the vin to find out.

Dartregor

Ready to race!
OK so I am having a hell of a time figuring out the rear brakes. So it seems from the pad part number they are bosch w/ 272 rotors, but I don't see bosch stamped on the caliper anywhere an it doesn't look like a banjo fitting. Why does vw have some many rotor/caliper conbos for the same freakin car. I guess I am just going to have to call the dealer and get PN off the vin to find out.

So as i currently understand it 2011+ mk6 2.5 has 272 the 2010 model has 286 i think. And also has a different style connection for the brake hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry I can't help alot here, I get a bit of a discount on VW parts through my buddy Andrews Shop, so i just give them the VIN and they give me the correct rotor.

Pads are a different story, those are chosen more on how they feel/work as I modulate them at the limit. I tend to like a linear reaction curve, as oppose to ones that are initial grabby and f**k up good heal/toe braking technique. I've throw out / given away perfectly good new brake pads because I didn't like them, ...ones popular with the Mod Crazy guys.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Their definitely 272 but its the calipers I am confused about. There are multiple caliper types that take different pads it looks like.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Their definitely 272 but its the calipers I am confused about. There are multiple caliper types that take different pads it looks like.
I've had three different makes of pads on the car (2010), when I order I get the same ones used on the GTI.

Last edited: