GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 2 questions

rronan

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like all good stuff. I will pick up the DP and the stage 2 flash next week. Arin any issues not doing the intake or full exhaust with this?

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like all good stuff. I will pick up the DP and the stage 2 flash next week. Arin any issues not doing the intake or full exhaust with this?

Grrr... I'm jealous!!! California SUX when it comes to their emissions laws...

At least everyone knows that if they see a GTI with California plates in another state... they know they can take them in a race

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
cooler exhaust temps, longer turbo life.

Do you have any data or can you explain? What range of temps are we talking about, generally? I assumed (incorrectly?) higher EGT and shortened life.

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any data or can you explain? What range of temps are we talking about, generally? I assumed (incorrectly?) higher EGT and shortened life.

From what I read, with the higher boost levels on stage 2... A restrictive cat/ downpipe will cause egt to rise leading to shortened life... That's why I was thinking a program that allows short burst of stage 2 boost levels to get stage 2 hp levels or close to it while still retaining the oem emissions equipment.

This idea would be similar to what BMW is doing with the 335is and z4 3.5is where they programmed overboost for short bursts.

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
I have an APR stage1 on my GTI yet, very nice but something Im looking for is a better throttle response and from all the info I got ; Im going for stage2!

Eurojet Downpipe + Carbonio stage2 will be order in 1 week.

Im not sure for a S3 intercooler yet. Maybe after all this.

im not looking for extra hp gain, just cool if it add it at high-rev range. Better turbo longevity and better throttle response for me!

If Arin could confirm me about the throttle response (a bit to counter the driver-by-wire) I would order just now :)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

Yes. you NEED the DP for stage 2 software.

A general rule of thumb is the hotter it is the shorter it will last. As I mentioned, a freer flowing exhaust system will free up restriction, will see increased ignition timing and cooler exhaust temps.

From what I read, with the higher boost levels on stage 2... A restrictive cat/ downpipe will cause egt to rise leading to shortened life... That's why I was thinking a program that allows short burst of stage 2 boost levels to get stage 2 hp levels or close to it while still retaining the oem emissions equipment.

This idea would be similar to what BMW is doing with the 335is and z4 3.5is where they programmed overboost for short bursts.

No real need for a 'short burst'. The stage 1 program essentially gets you as much as you can get w/o getting too hot. Stage 2, just runs a bit more aggressive since the restriction is gone.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
If Arin could confirm me about the throttle response (a bit to counter the driver-by-wire) I would order just now :)

The intake system is pretty restrictive so removing it and installing the carbonio will allow for some nice quick and easy gains in throttle response.

ShahulX

Ready to race!
I think I'll do the apr stage 1 in the next 2 weeks, how much better is adding the untIe? I do feel the throttle response stock is a bit muted. The carbonio intake is a cold air? As long as I don't go through 2ft of water I should be fine right? How loud does it make it? I don't want it too loud as this is my dd.

mmm def

Ready to race!
How about the stock clutch? Any long term issues running that much torque on the stock unit? I was reading on vortex of a few MKV needing new ones after 20k miles or so..don't know if they beat on them or not.