GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: How to adjust Bi-xenon headlight range

sapbox

Hi Guys...

Could you pls be more specific regarding the position of the sensors (elbow pointing) and where are they?.... i just lower the car and need to apply bubusky procedure.... but im kind of lost with this sensor issue.

dmick002

Ready to race!
Hi Guys...

Could you pls be more specific regarding the position of the sensors (elbow pointing) and where are they?.... i just lower the car and need to apply bubusky procedure.... but im kind of lost with this sensor issue.

So there is one xenon leveling sensor in the rear of the car on the driver side. When you lower the car, your car thinks there is a load in the back seat, that's what it is there for, it angles the lights downwards to compensate for the angle if the car with heavy load in the back. With vagcom, you can adjust the angle electronically. This is ideal for say drivers gear springs. Anything much lower you'll need to manually "crank" the headlights upwards to correct this otherwise the lights will be angled severely downwards. Basically your headlights think you have a heavy load in the hatch pushing your suspension down severely when in reality your whole car is ~2in lower and you do not have anything in the hatch at all. Does this cover it all for ya?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Great DIY! Just did this after my spring install.

Just in case anyone is a dumbass like me, the screw he is pointing at is the height adjuster not the screw to remove the cap lol.

I cranked my drivers light up like 2 feet before I realized it wasn't coming off.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there ever a scenario where sensors are fitted to BOTH front and rear axles or is the sensor only needed on the rear axle?

dmick002

Ready to race!
There is only a need for a sensor in the rear. There isn't any scenario where the front would be lower than normal. The height level of the lights takes normal passenger weight into account. It's on the rear specifically for changes in load in the hatch so that if its loaded up back there and maybe so passengers in the back the headlights will angle downwards a tad to compensate for the upward nose up angle the car would have with a heavy load. As a front passenger you're sitting in the middle of the car more or less so there won't be any angle as opposed to excessive weight in the rear. Make sense?

rawcpoppa

Passed Driver's Ed
Makes sense. Thanks. Planning to do a bi-xenon drl headlight retrofit on a jetta so every bit of info is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eschmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Huge thanks... just lowered, found the sensor arm was flipped but it was still a low cut-off after I fixed it. The adaptation fixed it!

Nitron

Ready to race!
Thanks for posting this thread. I had planned to go with option2 initially, but I got this email response from my local VW specialty shop:

"The VCDS isn't necessary if you're only looking to adjust the headlight levels up slightly in front. You can use the manual adjustment for this."

Is option2 not as effective or is the shop blowing me off?

zee

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting this thread. I had planned to go with option2 initially, but I got this email response from my local VW specialty shop:

"The VCDS isn't necessary if you're only looking to adjust the headlight levels up slightly in front. You can use the manual adjustment for this."

Is option2 not as effective or is the shop blowing me off?

Both are effective. Option1 levels it automatically, Option2 needs eyeball adjustment to get it where you want.

forks&spoons

Passed Driver's Ed
This worked wonders thanks for your help!:D

Hi guys

Sorry to revive an old thread.

I had a VW dealership in SA adjust my xenons as the right xenon was pointing a little high. Not sure what method they used but wasn't happy as the right side seemed a little low.

Did the option 2 adjustment via VCDS. I click xenon range and the headlights start adjusting even before i click BASIC SETTINGS - 04. I continue following the rest of the procedure till the last step but nothing happens.

I redid the option 2 adjustment and it does the exact same thing again.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Did anyone ever find out if option 2 works properly once you screw around with option 1? I don't have a cable but really need to lower my lights so I am going to do option 1 tonight. I would like to either get a cable or borrow one in the future to get it adjusted properly through vagcom.