GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone put a Golf catback on a GTI?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Another confirmation of some info. The MK5 GTI exhaust is the same size piping as the MK6 GTI exhaust. Proven with the MK5 oem sleeve which is 60mm (2.37"), just like the MK6 sleeve:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Exhaust/OE/ES315747/

and a sample of a Magnaflow (Autotech) catback for a MK5 GTI. Sure looks like a direct bolt up to a MK6 GTI. It gives an illusion of being shorter in total length, but I don't think it is..

So I want to start by buying a <$100 stock MK5 catback for testing. Then if it all fits perfect, I may change to a new aftermarket MK5 exhaust later. The valance doesnt need to come until the MK5 exhaust is installed.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
damn.. is this really the MK5 GTI catback? 2 massive huge pieces? thats what i got looking up a 2006 and a 2009.

the front piece sells online for $225
the rear piece sells online for $314
middle sleeve sells online for $25

now you know why i need used... on a positive note, it looks REAL quiet... bottom line, whether i have to wait a month or a year, this project isnt happening until i get a used one.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
that front box looks so huge I'm not sure this would fit under a MK6 GTI..

Couple MK5 GTIs within an hour or so drive which might have a catback to sell me.

parting out volkswagon 06 golf gti 2.0t - $1 (north of sac)
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4772713650.html

2007 Volkswagen 4doors GTI PARTS WHOLE CAR - $1 (glen park)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ptd/4759173868.html

Almost bought this valance, but I'll wait until I decide on a catback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-14-VW-MK...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c35d51bfd&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
ok.. forget the "Golf Sleeper" edition.. I'll just call this customization, like everyone on this forum does.. Trying the black out theme again, along with some other touches. I already have the following ordered:

Gloss Black Low-Line Golf Grill
Gloss Black VW grill emblem
Gloss Black VW hatch emblem
Gloss Black GTI lettering for hatch
Smoked markers for front fenders
Black MK6 Golf Single Outlet Valance (but with GTI ducting included)

Then another step will be getting the exhaust tips blacked out somehow. With either a stock MK5 GTI exhaust, or one of these beauts.. Single exit of course, with new valance.

Both of these are about $600 shipped. I like the Magnaflow quality more, but the Borla would be quieter. Though with the looker the GTI will be soon, a little sound might just make it exciting.

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Found one! but its in Orange County.. too far a drive.. turns out it is one piece.. i must have been looking at an incorrect diagram..

6+ hour drive.. prob $100 in gas on top of the exhaust price. and the main reason i can't buy it, i have 2 kids to deal with on a 24/7 basis.

VW OEM exhaust - $125 (Tustin)
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4755260492.html

Last edited:

Lucas_R

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTI bumper and valance is a different shape to normal Golfs - so you cant just buy a regular Golf valance and put it on your GTI bumper....you would have to change the whole bumper.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
The GTI bumper and valance is a different shape to normal Golfs - so you cant just buy a regular Golf valance and put it on your GTI bumper....you would have to change the whole bumper.

Even MK6 Golf to MK6 GTI use a different bumper? Are you sure? That would ruin all my plans. I'd have to sell my fancy MK6 Golf valance once it arrives..

Sure looks like the same bumper shapes and valances to me..

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Even though it looks the same, you could be right.. I found this on the auction page for the valance I bought.. I mean he must be right.. but i still want to see it for myself.. that part should be easy to sell to a MK6 Golf dude if i can't use it. Its just a Golf valance with a GTI look, lot of people might like that. $160 part..

Make: VW
Model/Chassis: MK6 Golf
Year(s): 10-14
Exceptions: NOT FOR GTI MODELS

Last edited:

bluerabbit0886

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah the Golf single exit and the GTI dual exit valances are interchangeable. The one that is not is for the Golf R. The Golf R valance requires a new bumper.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Too late when i got that information, my rear valance order got cancelled as i requested. the seller didnt read my follow up email that said i would take the chance and if it didnt fit it was on me. i guess its a good thing since i dont have a MK5 GTI catback yet.. I guess i should land a catback first, before i order a valance. I would just get a MK5 GTI autotech catback for $499, but i know it will be louder than i want.. i think buying a oem MK5 catback brand new, it comes in 2 pieces, plus its like $600.. so def a no-go there. and i also have to consider performance. all the stock catbacks are restrictive on a stage 2 build.. noise vs more power.. always the toughest decision.